Menu

Spelling curriculum if Saxon Math and Easy Grammar are successes?

lindsrae

My DD is in Grade One and a Half :) She needs lots of repetition and gets easily overwhelmed with having to write a great deal. I love using WWE, but we have had to just drop level 2 for now because it is stressing both of us out.

Spelling has been very sporadic this year. I would like to do something systematic. We died on the vine with Phonics Road, and I tried to do just the spelling lists from The Writing Road to Reading, but she just needs more than that. Workbooks are ok--writing a single word isn't too stressful for her, but having to write sentences is.

We have found real success with Saxon Math 2 this year and Easy Grammar 2 because I think there is enough review/repetition that she can feel confident. Any suggestions for spelling?

Well in my experience neither SWO or R&S have a lot of repetition, but you could just have her write her words 3x each every day. In sand, with markers, with pen, etc.

The only other spelling that I've used that is heavy on repetition is ACE Word Building. It's colorful, and has cartoons which are character building.

Well in my experience neither SWO or R&S have a lot of repetition, but you could just have her write her words 3x each every day. In sand, with markers, with pen, etc.

You're correct about not a lot of repetition in the workbook exercises as written in Spelling Workout. It's all in how you use it.

When we did it, DS often needed to pyramid-write his words each week to help retention, and in subsequent weeks I would often spiral back to words with which he had difficulty. Also, since OP's DD is writing-phobic, lots of exercises could be done orally or on a whiteboard, etc. Just some ideas.

I liked the way the spelling rules are laid out in Spelling Workout. It is systematic.

Saxon is definitely spiral. But Easy Grammar isn't. I don't know of any spelling curricula that are spiral/lots of repetition built-in like Saxon, if that's what OP wants, but hopefully someone else knows of one.

Yes, that's what I was getting at. Some kids puck up spelling faster than others and some more slowly. So it makes sense to just add in the repetitive review.

The problem is, the words may not pop up again? Which makes retention even more difficult

Which is why someone will probably point out that rather than learning individual words, it's better to memorize all the rules, using something like AAS.

I haven't found that necessary and both of my kids would revolt if I tried AAS...

But there's another viewpoint to consider.

AAS was not a success. She spent more time worrying about where the letter tile was on the board than thinking about the sound it made, etc. I haven't spent a ton of time researching, and many times I end up picking what *I* would like instead of what would be best for DD, so that's why I'm asking for opinions :)

I will look into the programs suggested. I appreciate the feedback and welcome more options!