Menu

What do you use for copy work?

soonermomma

I'm pretty new, but for my first grader, I've been reading aloud to him 2-3 times a week. On the reading days, I have him narrate the half-chapter or so, then on the opposite days, I give him a sentence or two of copywork from the book we're reading (I print it every-other-line using this site: http://www.zaner-bloser.com/media/zb/zaner-bloser/FontsOnline_Sampler/FontsOnline_Sampler/index.html). We went through Mr. Popper's Penguins this fall and are now reading Little House in the Big Woods.

I really like "Honey for a Child's Heart" for lists of great literature at different age levels. Some people have copywork from the Bible.

I let my kids find their own copywork from their books, but only good books with high quality language. We own most of the books listed in Ambleside Online in years 0-3. Holling C. Holling has beautiful language, D'Aulaire's biographies, Diane Stanley' biographies, fairy tales, poetry, nursury rhymes, science books, history books. Depending on their ability, I assign them a certain number of sentences to copy. They enjoy finding their own sentences more than if I assigned them sentences.