Menu

s/o on going vacation - travel and allergies

Trillian

So, this Oct. my DS had a serious reaction to nuts. We're working on figuring out his other allergies. In the meantime, I'm not sure how to handle travel and allergies. I'm not confident because so far the only place we've eaten out at is Disneyland and they've gotten nuts in his ice cream once and a chocolate that is not nut safe once (we've caught it both times). But they are supposed to be extremely vigilant (and make a big deal out of preparation) so I'm concerned about "regular" restaurants/hotels.

Usually, in the spring, we travel to visit family and I don't even begin to know how I would handle staying with them (what we usually do). I'm sure they would try (not an issue of non-compliance at all) but they have toddlers and it just doesn't seem practical.

So, how do people handle this? Do you just get used to it?

My son is lactose intolerant. Usually when traveling I am able to talk to the manager and get it figured out. However, there are situations where I know we have to just bring our own food. For example, my son brings his own food to Boy Scout campouts. He's going away for the weekend shortly and will bring ALL his own food as well as his own campstove to cook it on. It's just easier that way.