Menu

Spelling workout and phonics?

I've been following SWB suggestions for spelling using spelling workout A. I've noticed a lot of curriculums not only have spelling workbooks but also phonics workbooks. Should I also be doing a phonics workbook with my son who is in 1st grade. He's reading well and we're about to recieve WWE. Thanks for your help!

You might just want to throw this over to the K-8 board instead of the logic board.....you may get some more help over there.

My 1st grader just finished ETC 1-3 and is getting ready to start the 4th book.....But I was checking out the MCP Phonics book level C for my little one instead. I think they can't get enough phonics.....they are great in the car, for some down time, waiting at the allergy shot clinic, etc......

It obviously wouldn't hurt! Some kids love workbooks, but then some don't!

We use AAS with ETC and never had an issue.......

• 5 months later...
Guest lydiathekicker

What do all these abbreviations mean? Eeek! So, I do need to do phonics with my first grader? Or can we just read - me to him & him to me?

My little ones did either phonics or spelling. Never both at the same time. When they were reading well enough to no longer need daily phonics instruction their phonics based spelling book took over. That point was different for each kid. From big to little mine were in first grade, third grade, first grade, and kindergarten when they made the switch. (The youngest two aren't there yet.)