Menu

Does anyone know if I can do this in NY?

CatholicMom

I'm thinking of doing science for a month or so, then history, then health, etc. Instead of science on Monday, history Tues, geography Wed, etc.

I have a really hard time focusing on a lot of content subjects/curricula "at one time." To me, it's like reading 4 novels at one time and it drives me crazy (maybe I'm weird). But I also want to stay 100% within the law so I don't have any problems with my district.

Does anyone know if this is kosher according to NYS regulations??

(And if it is, I'm wondering how to report on my quarterlies since they probably won't be impressed with total lack of "science" for one quarter, even if we do science daily during another quarter... :closedeyes: )

(And if it is, I'm wondering how to report on my quarterlies since they probably won't be impressed with total lack of "science" for one quarter, even if we do science daily during another quarter... :closedeyes: )

I'm interested in the answer too. This sounds like my high school schedule, daily but only semester long classes for "core" subjects that still counted as a full credit. If they don't accept it, is that only for younger kids or high school age too?

I can't see that it would be a problem. Last year we finished science a quarter early so on our 4th quarterly report I listed the curriculum and put "completed during 3rd quarter". They didn't have a problem with that. Honestly if unschoolers can make their IHIPs and quarterly reports work. . .I can't see how that wouldn't.

You can always just do documentaries for science and some audiobooks for the "off quarters" in subjects and write down those topics on your quarterly reports.

To my knowledge the reg's don't specify that subjects need to be covered every quarter. . .it just says for them to be covered in each grade. I say go with it the way you want to and if they have a problem with it, just refer them to the reg's. ;-)

I don't see that they specify which subjects to be covered every quarter either, nor how many hours of instruction need to be covered per subject... just hours of instruction total. Which leaves such an absurd amount of leeway sometimes I wonder what the point is of all the reporting. But anyhoo, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss it! I think I will go for it and possibly just report the little things we do for the subjects I'm not concentrating on during a particular quarter... just so there isn't a big glaring white spot, lol.