Menu

Microsoft Surface Tablet or Ipad for homeschooling?

wonderfilled

I've been seriously considering getting some sort of tablet for homeschooling. We live overseas most of the time with very little storage space and I've been reading on here how people are using tablets for PDF workbooks.

We have a Kindle and I really enjoy how many books we can read on there. Also it is great to be able to buy books overseas and have them in less than a minute, rather than having to wait months for them to ship. We have internet, but it is a bit slow and we do not have wireless.

So what would you suggest, or would it be more useful to just get an extra laptop? I'm not very up-to-date on tablets so I don't know what they are capable of doing and what they are not.

One more question, is it possible to load any kind of programs on to either of these tablets or are you limited to the apps you can buy? I'm wondering about using Rosetta Stone, or Music Ace, or Word Roots or something like that on them. I'm thinking it is probably not possible, but I thought I would ask to make sure.

I have an ipad and LOVE it. It is my first mac product and I think it is amazing. There are so many educational apps out there. However, there is one limitation you should consider before purchasing. Ipads are not compatible with flash products. This will limit your use of some video but also, the more sophisticated educational learning systems (e.g., Dreambox) are not available. Good luck with your decision!

Most websites are moving away from flash. I don't think it's a big deal anymore that it is not available with the ipad tablet. The only thing I can't play on my ipad that the kids want are flash games (in browser, internet games). But there are so many game apps it doesn't matter. Oh, and sometimes there are videos and things that won't play. I love my ipad. My kids prefer the larger screen to our kindle. I like that there are more apps available (at least right now--I'm sure that is still changing) for the ipad. Is there something specific you wanted to use your table for? You could go to the store and play with both and see which one you prefer.

I have an ipad and LOVE it. It is my first mac product and I think it is amazing. There are so many educational apps out there. However, there is one limitation you should consider before purchasing. Ipads are not compatible with flash products. This will limit your use of some video but also, the more sophisticated educational learning systems (e.g., Dreambox) are not available. Good luck with your decision!

Actually any tablet made in 2012 or later will not support flash, as Adobe is no longer supporting it. Most websites are transitioning away from flash for this reason.

We have an iPad and love it. Though, I have been considering getting one of the covertible laptops because I want the ability to burn cd/dvd and play those discs as well. The iPad has a ton of educational apps and I have my pdf instructors guides on it (which saves paper and having to look over the top of a laptop when working with the kids). The negative is that it is locked into Apple, so if they don't have it I can't have it.

If you are already invested in Apple with iPods and such, it might be a good choice to go with the iPad. If not, then the convertible laptop/tablets that are coming out might be the best of both worlds.

Thanks everyone for your responses so far. I'm really very uninformed about this all and have never paid any attention to tablets and such. My sister just recently visited with her new Surface tablet and it looked pretty amazing so that's what got me thinking- that and the threads about using tablets for education that I read on here.

We have an iPad and love it. Though, I have been considering getting one of the covertible laptops because I want the ability to burn cd/dvd and play those discs as well. The iPad has a ton of educational apps and I have my pdf instructors guides on it (which saves paper and having to look over the top of a laptop when working with the kids). The negative is that it is locked into Apple, so if they don't have it I can't have it.

If you are already invested in Apple with iPods and such, it might be a good choice to go with the iPad. If not, then the convertible laptop/tablets that are coming out might be the best of both worlds.

The fact that neither the iPad or the Surface Tablet have a cd drive is what is keeping me from just jumping and buying one. I guess I am so far behind the times that it seems to seriously limit the usefulness of a device if it is lacking a cd drive.

What exactly are you referring to by convertible laptop/tablets? Is there something out there that I'm not even considering?

This woman is amazing with technology. She has a worldwide radio show that deals with all sorts of tech questions. If you search on her site about both she will lay out which is better for you.

http://www.komando.com/

Basically, from what I have heard, android based tablets need a tiny bit more skill at figuring them out. The iPad is more intuitive (I have one) and very easy for a first time user. They are also awesome at customer service. We have not had a problem with our iPad but if something goes wrong you can call their Genius dept at a local apple store and they will set you up with a free appt and they will look it over.

I am scared to use PC products anymore because the bad experiences I have had with viruses etc. in the past.

What I have used in the last for school on my iPad: zaner bloser handwriting app, art appreciation app, math mammoth, preschool skills, snake info apps, Montessori geography apps, us presidents, word wizard for spelling, kindle for free ambleside books. We also love the Face time with family that live far away. I also use my iPad as a telephone with the app called talkatone. It's free. I do not have a home phone. I can take my iPad anywhere and use it as a phone with wifi.

Anyhow, you wouldnt regret an iPad.

Why do you need a CD drive on an iPad?

As long as you have another computer in the house, you're ok there.

CD's will be fairly obsolete in a few years. For now you just need to keep whatever old computer you have for the few CD programs you still use, and maybe get a cheap Portable DVD player, for the kids to watch if they don't have a laptop.

Why do you need a CD drive on an iPad?

As long as you have another computer in the house, you're ok there.

CD's will be fairly obsolete in a few years. For now you just need to keep whatever old computer you have for the few CD programs you still use, and maybe get a cheap Portable DVD player, for the kids to watch if they don't have a laptop.

I would like a CD drive for the children's educational CD-roms. They could do those on our main computer but I don't like them to use it much. We have Rosetta Stone, Learnables, Music Ace, and Word Roots.

We are either going to get another laptop or an iPad or tablet. I would prefer something that the children could still do these types of programs on, but maybe the benefits and educational apps available far outweigh the advantage of having another CD drive.

You know, my sister just told me the same thing- about CDs becoming obsolete. I had never considered it before. We spend most of our time overseas and I spend little time thinking about new technology.

We have two old laptops (a new one is coming in the mail :001_smile: ) , so anything we get will be an improvement. Both of the old laptops have some serious issues so I don't think we are going to keep either of them.

I hope I'm being clear here.

I would like a CD drive for the children's educational CD-roms. They could do those on our main computer but I don't like them to use it much. We have Rosetta Stone, Learnables, Music Ace, and Word Roots.

Those programs wouldn't run on the iPad anyway, even if it had a cd-rom reader. You are limited to the App store, some hacker apps, or websites that don't use Flash.

Also most people here are familiar with the iPad, very few are familiar with Surface. So it goes without saying that you'll get more thumbs up for the iPad than the Surface. It doesn't mean the Surface is bad, just that it's unknown.

I have an iPad, and an Android phone (not a tablet). I love Android much more than I love iPad. I wouldn't buy the iPad again. (I got the Android afterwards)

The fact that neither the iPad or the Surface Tablet have a cd drive is what is keeping me from just jumping and buying one. I guess I am so far behind the times that it seems to seriously limit the usefulness of a device if it is lacking a cd drive.

What exactly are you referring to by convertible laptop/tablets? Is there something out there that I'm not even considering?

This article will explain what I mean and give you a little information on each of the convertible tablets that are currently available for purchase.

Edited to add: Did a little more reading and it sounds like the convertibles might still have some bugs to work out. So, research well if you decide to go that route.

I'm looking toward the Surface Pro, which isn't out yet. It will run all my regular Windows programs. While I would not turn down an ipad if someone gave it to me and I enjoy my iphone, I think the ability to add memory to the Surface via a microSDXC card and an external USB port are big advantages over the ipad.

Of course, by the time we can afford to add any new technology to the household, who knows what will be available. :rolleyes: