Menu

FAFSA question

Kimm in WA

If my high schools senior has taken college courses through dual-enrollment, do I check

1. Attended college before/1st year

or

2. Never attended college/1st year

While they are college courses, colleges he is applying to has him applying as a 1st year freshman rather than a transfer student.

Thanks,

Kimm in WA

No expert here! I googled, but couldn't find the exact answer to your question. The closest I can find is page 1-5 of the 2012-13 Federal Student Aid Handbook:

“A student enrolled in elementary or secondary school is not eligible for aid from the FSA programs, even if she is simultaneously enrolled in an eligible college program. A student is considered to be enrolled in secondary school if she is pursuing a high school diploma or if she has completed the requirements for a diploma, has not yet received it, and either she is taking college coursework for which her high school gives credit or her high school still considers her to be enrolled there.â€

Basically, that's just a definition of what a "regular college student" is, so that parents do NOT count dual-enrolled high schoolers as also in college to try and lower the FAFSA number... it doesn't tell you what box to check if your student DID dual enrollment courses while in high school.

BEST to ask directly: gov't toll-free number 800/ 433-3243; or the gov't online chat sessions Mon-Sat at the FAFSA on the Web Customer Service Live Help.

GOOD LUCK! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

No expert here! I googled, but couldn't find the exact answer to your question. The closest I can find is page 1-5 of the 2012-13 Federal Student Aid Handbook:

“A student enrolled in elementary or secondary school is not eligible for aid from the FSA programs, even if she is simultaneously enrolled in an eligible college program. A student is considered to be enrolled in secondary school if she is pursuing a high school diploma or if she has completed the requirements for a diploma, has not yet received it, and either she is taking college coursework for which her high school gives credit or her high school still considers her to be enrolled there.â€

Basically, that's just a definition of what a "regular college student" is, so that parents do NOT count dual-enrolled high schoolers as also in college to try and lower the FAFSA number... it doesn't tell you what box to check if your student DID dual enrollment courses while in high school.

BEST to ask directly: gov't toll-free number 800/ 433-3243; or the gov't online chat sessions Mon-Sat at the FAFSA on the Web Customer Service Live Help.

GOOD LUCK! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

I was wondering about this, too. You might let us know if you make that phone call.

Nan