Menu

Question for those who use WWS and do history TWTM way

cjgrubbs

If you use WWS with say a 7th grader who despises writing, would you change the amount of writing you require in history?

He is a very reluctant writer with a bad attitude about writing. I've been trying to do TWTM way of history to help improve his writing and I've worked with him extensively on writing using literature. We've also done 2 years of IEW.

So if I switch now to WWS with him, should I ease up on his history writing?

Basic schedule below:

Monday - read 2 pages of Nat'l Geographic Almanac of American History - write down 3 important facts (copywork)

Tuesday - read a chapter from Hakim's Story of US - tell me 3 important things from the chapter in your words (narration)

Wednesday - read a chapter from Hakim - outline one page (outlining)

Thursday - timeline work/mapwork - sometimes another chapter of Hakim

Friday - discussion

For each Hakim chapter, I pre read and have a few questions for him to answer which we use as the basis of our discussion. I have been counting this work as his writing this year, and some weeks his writing has been mainly from the literature he's reading.

Keeping up with this history schedule is killing me so I'm also considering switching his history to Notgrass America the Beautiful....

My top priority for this year with him is helping him to improve his writing. I don't feel I've accomplished much in this area.

I think you could eliminate the outlining exercise on Wednesday if you add WWS. Overall it doesn't seem like too much for a 7th grader. Could you have him type some of this out if it is a matter of physically hating to write? That might help too.

Forgot to mention we do dictation on Thursday, but usually from his lit.

I don't think doing both should be too much for a 7th grader either but he does it all so poorly. I usually have to make him redo his work at least twice a week! He doesn't like typing any better than he likes writing!