Menu

Biblioplan Ancients: What do I Need?

We haven't started BP Ancients yet, but I've been putting things together. I bought the map pack and am not disappointed with it but I have two that are older than yours. It comes with lesson plans for each of the weeks and what to do with the maps that are more detailed than what's in the reading list. For a first grader, I think SOTW AG should be fine. I did not buy the coloring book since I had the AG as well as some Dover ones I'd gotten off the sale board. There are also sites you can find additional coloring pages if you want them. The TOG website has a list of links to activities to various time periods and there are coloring pages there, too. If you continue BP on your next rotation, don't buy the timeline. Every thing's marked where things go which isn't what SWB suggests in WTM for 5th graders. She recommended using a plain timeline so the student figures out where things should go.

We completed Biblioplan Ancients last year using SOTW AG for maps and coloring sheets. Some weeks didn't have a map or coloring sheet while other weeks had several. Over all, I thought using the AG worked out and we're doing the same this year.

Best of luck!

Jina - I don't know about the BP timeline for your child. This is my first year homeschooling so have never used one before. Maybe a more experienced mom will chime in.

I bought the History Through the Ages timeline figures a while back. I do like that book that you linked to and will probably go with that one for my 5th grader.

A few thoughts relating to several posts here:

-the Biblioplan maps and coloring pages are brand new. Everyone who has done Biblioplan Ancients before did it without them--so don't feel like you have to use them. We also used and are still using the AG maps and coloring pages. It's what we're used to and works fine.

-I'm sure it's true that first graders don't need timelines. But their moms can benefit quite a bit! Ours is just a bunch of pieces of tagboard tied together and we use the review cards from the AG. The girls color them, I look up a date for the event and write it on the card (most aren't dated), then we unfold our timeline and tape it down in the right spot. I'm understanding the flow of history in a way I never have before.

-I like the looks of the Home School in the Woods figures and time book a lot. My default plan is to get each girl their own book the next time we cycle through, and by then they will know a lot more about how to do a timeline from our efforts together now.

I just put this out as a new thread, but I thought I'd try here to see if any of you know the answer...

What format are the biblioplan timeline e-books? Is it possible to copy and paste the figures if I get the e-book...or is it strictly print only?

I think I like the BP timeline verses story through the ages timeline at a first grade level. They're in color and since BP uses SOTW , I am hoping that they will match up with our reading really well...with the biblical figures added in...