Menu

What would you do?

amo_mea_filiis.

I should probably post over in the highschool spot, but I'm not looking for a serious discussion, just some general ideas.

You have a 9th grade ps'ed child. This child (ok, teen) has been having increasing difficulties emotionally over the last 2 years. You decide to pull the currently suspended child out of school and homeschool. Where do you start? Curriculum? What about graduation? The state is not a highly regulated one, but you do have to submit intent, attendance, and a statement of yearly progress.

I know the child is intelligent. I am very sure she's craving some structure, rules, attention and love.

I do not know if she's got any ideas of beyond high school.

I personally would have pulled her already and unschooled a bit while researching and getting her medical and psych needs under control.

She does not have life long behavior problems. Everything is new over the last few years.

Her guardian is overwhelmed and when thinking of homeschooling, isn't sure where to start. But the starting is not the problem i hear. It's knowing who to answer to, who regulates things, what curriculum to use, what if she goes back to public high school, who decides if she graduates, who decides if she's made adequate progress during the year, etc. All questions that I'm trying to answer, but i only have 1 and a half years hs'ing experience, in a different state, and with younger kids.

Her guardian is overwhelmed and when thinking of homeschooling, isn't sure where to start. But the starting is not the problem i hear. It's knowing who to answer to, who regulates things, what curriculum to use, what if she goes back to public high school, who decides if she graduates, who decides if she's made adequate progress during the year, etc. All questions that I'm trying to answer, but i only have 1 and a half years hs'ing experience, in a different state, and with younger kids.

This really depends on the state laws and the local school district. The school district regulations on graduating homeschoolers change regularly here. Homeschoolers were eligible for a high school diploma about 5 years ago, then they weren't, then they were if they attended at least 2 years at the public school, then they were only eligible if they had taken accredited classes elsewhere. This year online classes are being offered for official high school credit.

Guardian (or someone) should call the school district and find out who knows the current rules/regulations. This is not necessarily the high school guidance counselor. They probably could get info from a state homeschool group.

Best wishes to them and here is hoping the student gets some help!