Menu

Kids who are total opposites in how they learn

IceFairy

We started the year with Oak Meadow and it was a fail. We had used bits and pieces from Christian Liberty Press last year, so I purchased their curriculum kits to finish the year. DS is thriving with the 1st Grade and DD loves the Preschool. I am looking towards next year (I need to budget and start looking for deals in a few months) and I am baffled. DD is a bright girl but has serious fine motor delays. There is a 50% chance she will be writing letters next year...whether she is or isn't, she will not be able to do extensive writing in any way. She compensates by learning very well through listening. She already does well with Burgess Books and such. DS abhors listening to stories for any length of time and begs for worksheets. He is also accelerated by one year in every subject except penmanship. So.....

First question: Have you ever run two totally opposite curriculum styles for two kids close in age?

Second question: What are your "first thought" suggestions for curriculums for both kids?

My kids aren't nearly as close in age, but they have opposite learning styles and seem similar to your two.

My first thoughts are Sonlight for your DD (and have DS listen when he feels like it) and to continue with what's working for your DS. How is their reading coming? That would be my first priority at those ages.

DS is reading decently. He can read about 75% of level 1 readers with no help. He loves his Adventures in Phonics B from CLP. DD is just sounding out CVC words but seems to do better with sight words. I don't teach them to her. She picks them up on her own.

My kids aren't nearly as close in age, but they have opposite learning styles and seem similar to your two.

My first thoughts are Sonlight for your DD (and have DS listen when he feels like it) and to continue with what's working for your DS. How is their reading coming? That would be my first priority at those ages.