Menu

Quoting in a paragraph--correct citation? Help

When quoting something within a paragraph, if the quote ends with a question mark or an exclamation mark, my understanding is that you include the !? but then also put a period after the page citation, like so:

The Scarlet Letter also sheds light on this matter, telling the story of Hester Prynne and Arthur Dimmesdale, who break the rules, claiming, “What we did had a consecration of its own. We felt it so! We said so to each other!†(Hawthorne 176). Is it worthwhile?

OR should the period after the page citation be left off???

I have searched my MLA and am not finding the answer and am cross-eyed from grading papers. Can you help?

Thanks!

I think you are suppose to put the period there, but I could be wrong. It's been a while, and I'm only teaching 1st grade so far. But from what I remember, I think the period is suppose to be inside the parentheses.

That's not my question, actually, though I appreciate the response. I know for certain that the period goes outside the parenthesis in this instance. (A period only goes inside a parenthesis when the parenthetical statement is a sentence that stands completely on it's own, like this.) The period would not go inside a parenthesis when the parenthetical statement is part of the larger sentence (like this).

IF there was not a ! or ? at the end of the quoted matter, then the period goes after the page citation, outside the parenthesis. There would be NO period at the end of the quoted matter until after the page citation. However, if there is a ! or ?. then do you still need the period after the page citation, or does it just float in the paragraph without any further end punctuation?