Menu

Good Idea?

SJ.

I am organizing a field trip to the art museum and there is a cost for chaperones over the number they allow in for free. For every ten children there is a free adult admission and over that amount it is $8.00/adult. I am thinking it would be easiest to just ask every adult to pay the $8.00 and just donate the extra money. I imagine this will only be about $16. Initially I thought I would divide the cost equally and it would bring the cost down slightly for everyone but because the museum is asking for one payment for the group I thought this would be difficult due to having to have change for those that did not have the exact amount (I have already asked everyone to bring $8 per adult). Thoughts? Would this bother you if you were attending?

I think you and any co-organizer gets the free admission. If there is any extra donate it to the museum after that.

Anyone who simply signed up and sent in the money you asked for is not a chaperone. At most they will manage their own children. However, I've been on trips where they didn't even do that.

ETA: or you could simply tell the museum that you, the organizer, are the only chaperone. So there will be no leftover money that you need to worry about the ethics of distributing. The adults did not volunteer for extra duties so they should not get the benefit that results from extra duty.

You probably do not think of yourself as a chaperone. However, since you are the organizer, if anyone behaves badly the museum will speak to you. So, you are a chaperone.