Menu

E-reader help for a complete novice

Janie Grace

My dd13 wants an e-reader. Dh and I don't have them and I really don't know anything about them (I'm old school... voracious reader but I like my ink and paper!). Do e-readers have internet access besides Amazon/B&N? Can she access inappropriate content on it without purchasing it? (She doesn't have a proclivity towards this that I'm aware of, we just try to be careful about parental controls on the internet, etc.) Which is best, Kindle or Nook or something else? Can you get a decent used one (refurbished or whatever)? Thanks!

I have an older Kindle. It doesn't access the internet except the Kindle Store. There are samples and a lot of free books, so I guess it is possible that she could get a book or a sample of a book that you would not want her to purchase. I think the Kindle Fire does access the internet openly, but it probably has parental controls. If I were giving my dd or ds one, a condition of ownership would be not allowed to download anything I haven't cleared; this is the same condition I have on their iTouchs.

Guest inoubliable

My first gen Nook have a really crappy browser on it. I honestly don't know how much "trouble" one could get in on the browser. It's slow and a pain in the rear. I don't think there are parental controls restricting what someone could look up in the B&N store through the Nook. My oldest has one of the really inexpensive Kindles. My mom and sister got it for him last year and it has the ads on it. So one night he went looking around on it for how to disable the ads. Or at least that's his story. :glare: There are no parental controls on what he can look up on the Amazon store. DH and I *are* the parental controls.

My first gen Nook have a really crappy browser on it. I honestly don't know how much "trouble" one could get in on the browser. It's slow and a pain in the rear. I don't think there are parental controls restricting what someone could look up in the B&N store through the Nook. My oldest has one of the really inexpensive Kindles. My mom and sister got it for him last year and it has the ads on it. So one night he went looking around on it for how to disable the ads. Or at least that's his story. :glare: There are no parental controls on what he can look up on the Amazon store. DH and I *are* the parental controls.

If you don't mind my asking, what was he able to see when trying to figure out how to disable the ads? What is your opinion about Nook vs. Kindle?