Menu

MFW first grade tweaking

Mommie_Jen

I'm kind of using MFW K right now. We are doing our own math, phonics, and handwriting, but using the activity guide for a loose guide each week. A while ago I bought a used MFW 1st grade TM, science books, and student Bible from here. MFW is changing the TM in 2013 and supposedly you can't use the old TM with the new student sheets they are coming out with in Jan. I was just going to buy the worksheets now, but now I'm rethinking that.

I still want to use our own math, handwriting, and phonics. DS is doing really well with it all. I'm thinking of just using the 1st grade TM as a guide like I am doing now, branching out with their science activities (I have Elemental Science Intro, Nature Study Handbook, the library, and Pinterest to help) and following along with their Bible activities and lessons.

So if do that, I will be using MM, ETC, ARFH, and MFW 1st grade to go along. Thoughts on that? Do I need to add a first grade grammar?

Soooo... Are you saying you just want to use MFW 1st for some of the activity ideas? And Bible, perhaps? If so, then don't spend your money on the new revised package next year. Just buy the Student Materials packet to go along with the used TM you have right now. No, you won't use all of the student sheets if you aren't doing the phonics or math lessons, but there are notebooking and narration pages for the Proverbs memory work and timeline pieces, and the Bible Notebook is part of the student materials, too.

I'm assuming that when you say you got the "student Bible" you mean the Bible Reader which has the Bible stories in it, with corresponding pages that the student can color? That is actually part of the Student Materials set, too. Do you have a younger child there? If so, then maybe you can let him/her have one of the Bible Readers (since you have one, and will get another one in the Student Materials).

You don't need a separate grammar course. MFW 1st includes spelling and language arts skills appropriate for a 1st grader who's still in the learn-to-read stage. MFW recommends starting grammar or "English" in 2nd grade, after completing phonics, and I concur. You might find that you want to do *some* of the phonics/reading lessons for language arts and spelling skills, especially after you get past the first few weeks. MFW 1st really covers two years worth of phonics lessons in one.... which means they're integrating other LA skills besides just learning to read. Those will be valuable for your student even though you're using something else to teach him how to read. You're introducing the student to narration and copywork skills similar to what are included in something like First Language Lessons (many of these are part of the Bible lessons), so you'd be needlessly duplicating your work by having a separate grammar program.