Menu

Wolfram Alpha

NittanyJen

In several recent math threads, I have read questions about math texts that reflected concerns about being able to access answers to exercises (due to lack of a teacher manual, expensive teacher manuals, out of print editions, etc).

Although it will not help with word problems, I wanted to make sure forum members were aware of the website Wolfram Alpha for pretty much any problem that you can put into a mathematical equation-- just go to www.wolframalpha.com and enter the equation that is giving you difficulty, and get the answer, if you just need to check the answer.

For free, there is now a step-by-step solution feature, where you can have up to three solutions emailed to you (or you can sign up for W-A Pro for unlimited step by step solutions).

I see there is an example generator for all kinds of problems, including word problems, so perhaps there is a way to input word problems that I simply have not explored yet.

You can expect your answer in several formats, which can be interesting to your kids-- for example, if you enter a fraction problem, your answer will be returned as an exact fraction, a decimal, a mixed number, a number line, and an Egyptian expansion fraction. If you enter a polynomial problem, you can expect a graphical solution as well.

This is a really nice resource for quickly checking "Is this answer really wrong, or is this answer key perhaps printed incorrectly?" or for those times when you have a problem and no answer key at all for it, and there is the opportunity to get a step-by-step solution mailed to you.

Neither DH nor I has any affiliation with W-A that I am aware of; DH has programmed other mathematical packages, but not, I believe, this one, so I am not pushing anything for any type of personal gain; just trying to help my fellow forum members, because I know math can be a sticky problem for many.