Menu

Would someone be able to give me a sampling of the words (beg. and end) for SWO D & E

Johanna

I am not sure which SWO would be a better fit for my dd4th (natural speller). THere just arent enough samples out there.

I am wavering between E and D. Would someone be able to give me some examples of the lists from both the D level and the E level.

It would be nice to get an idea of what the lists are like in the beginning and the end.

Thank you so much in advance!!

ps. I wonder why CBD doesnt carry it anymore??

(Hello, everyone! This is my first post. Finally, a question I can answer with confidence! :D)

We finished D last year. The lessons do progress in difficulty but not perfectly linearly, if that makes sense! Level D, lesson 1 list:

banner, hundred, fame, later, seven, hammer, twelve, barrel, dollar, letters, silent, wild, until, swift, bottles, pineapple, film, gallon, traffic, eleven.

Level D Lesson 34 list: difficult, tender, lengthy, sturdy, expensive, repaired, enormous, journey, weary, tense, cautious, sorrow, vague, ancient, courage, drowsy, disbelief, current, descend, rapidly.

Between first and last, though, were some lists that were easy for dd and some that were a struggle. Lesson 20 was ie/ei words - we spent 2 weeks there. Random sampling of words from lists toward the end of level D: expensive, enormous, vague, outstanding, disinterested, precaution, impractical, lesson 29 is all plural possessives like airlines', men's, members'...Lesson 35 (the last list) is frequently confused homonyms like peace/piece, their/there, sense/scents, whose/who's.

We'll be starting Level E in two weeks. Lesson One list: quiet, aches, shake, knocked, jacket, quarter, quickly, knowing, quarrel, speaker, questions, kneeling, earthquake, mechanic, orchestra, knothole, inquire, sequence, require, character. Later lessons include words like afterward, friendliness, profitable, likelihood, occupying, authorities. The last two lessons are irregular plurals (moose, calves, spaghetti, sheriffs) and words that follow no rules (yolk, separate, weird, recommend, forfeit).

Hi!

Thanks for answering my question. Here is another question that you may be able to answer:

Do they go over the "spelling rule"

that applies to the list??

for example when they had the list of ie wors and ei words...do they give a rule to know which one to use???

THanks!

Hi!

Thanks for answering my question. Here is another question that you may be able to answer:

Do they go over the "spelling rule"

that applies to the list??

for example when they had the list of ie wors and ei words...do they give a rule to know which one to use???

THanks!

Briefly: Yes, they do. In the ie/ei lesson, it was the old "i before e except after c, or when sounded like a as in neighbor and weigh."

SWO lessons all follow the same pattern. First page: a short reading including some of the list words. Second page: a "Pep Talk" which presents the week's spelling rule, and a written exercise in which the student "sorts" the list words according to the rule. Third page: more written exercises using the list words, such as synonym/antonym matching, matching list words to a definition, completing sentences with list words, alphabetizing or rhyming, etc. Fourth page: a simple writing assignment (e.g. "Pretend that you are an animal photographer. Write a letter telling a friend about one of the pictures you've taken. Use as many List Words as you can."), a proofreading exercise, a reminder to take the Final Test, and a brief list of "All Star Words" which are more difficult words that model the week's rule (not included in any of the exercises or test). Every sixth lesson is called "Instant Replay" and consists of review exercises and a review test.