Menu

any felt food makers

on here? I am looking at some and thought perhaps a busy bee here might make them. I can't decide to try my hand at it and make some for a Christmas gift or just buy some made up. I'm redoing a kitchen set for one of the kids and wanted to add some food that was a little more grownupish as she is not 2 anymore and cheap plastic and hard wood is not quite.... thrilling me :laugh: .

I make felt food. I'm guiding my sister through her first felt food gift-making session this holiday and making a few pieces. I made my niece quite a bit a few years ago. I've gotten great patterns fom Etsy, though you could easily design your own. Have fun!

I don't have any good pictures of recent work, but here's what I did a few years ago: http://thisordinarytime.blogspot.com/2010/01/wool-felt-play-food.html

Oh gosh! Those are so cute! What type of felt did you use? I love that apple. Was it really time consuming as I have about a week to redo the kitchen and make up some food. If it is one of those things that will take me hours to turn out a piece of fruit then I won't have time for it. How well do they hold up?

I use a wool felt blend for the most part, sometimes 100% wool. My sister and I just had a discussion about durability, and she hasn't had any issues (and it's NOT because I'm a great sewer!)

I don't think it'll take you very long to make up a few pieces. Some of the things in my link above were time consuming, but a whole apple, carrot, banana, tomatoes, whole loaves of bread, etc. are simple. Are you going to work by machine or hand? If you sew by hand, I recommend using embroidery thread. That will help reinfornce the stitches.