Menu

our afterschooling adventures

My husband is still on the fence regarding homeschooling and I'll be honest- I was (am still) very jealous of the homeschoolers I met. About a year and a half ago I started learning about all the options and materials out there and decided to add to their education. It has been an interesting adventure! I am also envious of those that have their kids in private schools or schools they love.

I notice that I pay much more attention to the materials they use in their classrooms than I did before. it helps me see the strengths and deficiencies of their current school. (They are in a small semi-rural public school.) I'm not very happy with the peer influences and my accelerated learners are not challenged very well, but it's adequate.

I made this thread because I am new here and I want to record my journey and learn! I don't know if my husband will ever change his mind, but I hope even afterschooling will help us out.

I have four kids that are school aged and one will be going to preschool next spring for delays for two hours a day. They use Saxon for math at school and do a lot of hands-on activities. They unfortunately also have to do standardized testing all the time.

It's been interesting trying to strike a balance within the restraints of the public school calender.

Hi and welcome! You actually welcomed me on my first ever post, too!

My husband was never really for homeschooling either. When we had our twin boys though, we couldn't afford preschool. I was actually sad for them to be missing out on all the fun activities, while their friends were all gone during the day. So I decided to do very light preschool at home: crafts, games, etc. By the end of the year my husband and I were both amazed at how much more they both learned compared to their same aged peers. They can swim, ride their bike without training wheels, started reading before kindergarten, and many more things. We still decided to go the public school route, but he is no longer opposed to homeschooling if this was my choice.

Did you ask your husband why he doesn't want you to homeschool? If this is really what you want, or feel is the best for your kids, maybe there is a solution to his concerns?

My husband has been a teacher for years and years, though for high school aged kids. He is coming at me with that sort of background, so I get a lot of the stereotyped arguments. He also enjoyed his years of school. I however did not fit in socially throughout school and was not challenged. I ended up at the top of my class, but I was lazy and it didn't take much effort. I ended up having to find things on my own outside of school to learn more. I don't want that for my kids.

However, right now they are currently in a smaller, more rural school. They have a small class size and do a lot of hands on activities. They are using Saxon math for now, but I have heard it will be dropped when the state switches to Common Core standards. It's not ideal, but they don't seem to have many of the peer problems I see in the bigger cities. It would be an entirely new ball game for high school though.

I have always done spontaneous teaching lessons for my kids in my favorite areas- art, life and physical sciences, and history. As I learned and talked to homeschooling families in the area, I started actually planning things out and using more materials. I do things on weekends, evenings, days off, and all last summer. My hope is that my husband will see I can handle things and will relent and let me have a test year. I do have a 4 year old that would be going to K next year so maybe.

He gives me the socialization argument and the 'band' argument. I can refute the socialization one, but he is right in that we wouldn't be able to financially provide music lessons to the kids and the schools wouldn't allow partial enrollment here.

Baby steps!

hmm. I tried to edit and got " SQL server problem". Weird.

I wanted to add that keeping the peace in our family is my priority. Even if I end up unable to homeschool or can only attempt with my youngest two that haven't entered school yet, I really want to enjoy afterschooling with them. I know there are likely many in the same boat that I am where they can't or don't want to homeschool but still want to be active in their kids education. My kids are in school about 7 hours a day for 180 days. A good handful of those days are wasteful and the others are productive. I still have them the rest of the time, and I will make do with it.

My husband was also the same way as yours. But after three years of non productive time spend in school, then having to come back home to be afterchooled, to only find out that after which we didn't have enough time to do other interesting stuff, he changed his mind.