Menu

Talk to me about Bravewriter

Lots of boys

I see Bravewriter is on sale at the HSBC. I am interested in this for my 3rd grader (probably when he is in 4th). Can those that have used this chime in? How is it structured? Is it teacher friendly? How did your children respond?

If I was to try this, what portions do I need (Jot-it -down, Writers Jungle etc)?

Thanks for any help.

We use it and my kids are 3rd graders (though on the young end of third). I have a couple of posts on my blog about it - when I first discovered it and how we started implementing it over the summer.

Basically, The Writer's Jungle is a guide to teaching writing. I wouldn't say it's a curriculum. It's more like a book to reassure you, lay out a philosophy of teaching writing, and give you ideas to get started. It does have suggested routines and specific activities, but it's not laid out like a curriculum.

The Wand teaching really basic skills through copywork and games for kids still learning to read and write. The Arrow uses a longer read aloud book as a jumping off point for talking about literary elements and uses dictation for teaching grammar concepts. Jot It Down is new and I've only glanced at it - it takes the ideas in TWJ and lays them out into more of a curriculum. I think 3rd grade is a funny in between time with Bravewriter - many kids are still learning some mechanics and The Arrow would be too hard, but The Wand would be a little easy. Also, I think most 3rd graders are probably too old for Jot It Down, which seems much more geared toward younger kids. We've used The Arrow, but modified the dictations to be shorter. And now we're not using it - I've been doing it myself in that model.

Bravewriter blends much more traditional ideas about copywork and dictation with much more modern ideas about being creative and growing your individual writing voice. If that appeals to you, I'd say get and read The Writer's Jungle and then consider if you'd like to do The Arrow or how you might implement the ideas.