Menu

thegreatbooks.com - Has anybody used this?....

This looks good to me, but I'm looking at it in ignornace.

First, I can't really tell how time-consuming the reading would be. And, I noticed, for example that they only assign one chapter in The Epic of Gilgamesh. (unfortunately, I have a different translation, so I can't figure out exactly what they're reading)

I also noticed they do have an "additional" reading list which is listed in order of difficulty. Would you need to add those books - or is the "Great Book" curriculum enough?

I do like the diversity! There's quite a number of books I would probably shy away from doing out of my ignorance. But after reading their descriptions, I wonder how in the world did I get to this point in my life without knowing who these people are and what they said!

So, please, I would welcome any insight - good or bad. Thanks!!!

Rhonda

Here's a link: http://www.thegreatbooks.com/courses/ancient

I used to be afraid the Great Books were beyond my reach intellectually. I shyed away from ancient lit during my oldest's middle school yrs. Now that she's entering high school, I chose Omnibus for our curriculum. I started prereading the selections and they weren't nearly as difficult as I imagined. They have so far been interesting and entertaining, not the bone dry reading I imagined them to be. The book list you linked to looks great.

I also found a good study on literary analysis for myself has been very helpful in discussing these books. Some curriculum already have rhetoric level discussion ?'s in them: Omnibus, TOG, and Teaching the Classics.

I've found many of the books I've read from the list to be fun and enjoyable.

Rhonda,

We've used this for two years (Modernity and Ancient) and will be doing our third (Medieval) this year. We love the discussions that the guides spark. The schedules are tremendously helpful, too.

The reading and notetaking take the kids about two hours a day (less for my faster readers and more for my slower reader). Then we have two two-hour long discussions a week. We basically use the schedule and discussion guides but follow WTM recommendations for researching the historical background of each work.

A great percentage of the works on the schedules overlap with the works on the WTM lists. I've heard the author recommend WTM for homeschoolers in a talk he gave.

My dc find that the questions asked in the guides make the great books relevant to their lives. I've seen them become much better critical readers, and they have become much more competent in worldview discussions with their friends. They did wonderfully on the SAT critical reading section and credited the reading and discussions we have done in the last two years.

I suggest you read the essays on the website and take a look at the free sample guide on the website to see if it meets your needs.

You do not need to do the extra reading on extra list. My kids have enjoyed using that list to guide their free reading, but it is not required.

Thanks! I was wondering about how to incorporate history, too, and forgot to ask. So, if I'm understanding you correctly, you are using the WTM suggestions for history (reading in history after reading the book & making context pages). But you're not reading *extra* history in addition to the 2 hours/day, right?

And, on days when you have the discussion, does the discussion take the place of reading for that day?

(Like, I should be so worried about time when I have 3 kiddos, and you have 12 - LOL!)

Thanks so much!

Rhonda

Thanks for such an encouraging post!

Even the 8th grade WTM list had me quaking in my boots. Not so much for me, but worrying about my boys (esp. my 5th grader!). We haven't started yet, but I've pre-read and made notes on about half the books, and every time I start with that "yuck!" feeling, and gradually that changes to "Oh, I'm so glad we're going to get to read that!"

Best of luck w/Omnibus!

Rhonda

Thanks! I was wondering about how to incorporate history, too, and forgot to ask. So, if I'm understanding you correctly, you are using the WTM suggestions for history (reading in history after reading the book & making context pages). But you're not reading *extra* history in addition to the 2 hours/day, right?

And, on days when you have the discussion, does the discussion take the place of reading for that day?

(Like, I should be so worried about time when I have 3 kiddos, and you have 12 - LOL!)

Thanks so much!

Rhonda

Hi Rhonda,

They created a context page *before* reading the book as per the instructions on p. 487-489 of WTM (2nd ed). We skipped step 5 as they were using HTRB instead. They read the reading assignment and took notes on the reading. Then, as one of the essays on thegreatbooks.com suggests, I had them write down one statement/idea/philosophy they agreed with in the book, one they disagreed with, and identify the worldview of the author/reading. After the discussion, I sometimes asked them to write a paper on something we discussed and often these were just 45 minute essays.

I pretty much let my older kids make their own schedule, so they are allowed to complete their work whenever they want as long as they don't fall behind. They log their hours. I would tell them we were going to discuss such and such reading on Wed. and they were required to be ready to discuss with context page, notes, etc. I asked the dc that are here and they said they were spending about two hours a day on great books and that included the discussions, context pages, everything. I glanced at one of their logs to confirm it. My slower reader is not here right now, but I think he often spent longer than two hours. (He's a very slow reader.)

This year I had them take the Western Civ. I CLEP, mainly for my own peace of mind. :tongue_smilie: So studying for that took some time, too.

HTH and hopefully I was clear. I'm happy to answer any other questions.

Thank you so much!

I'm still printing things off, and looking it all over. Obviously, I'll need to re-read WTM, too! (Good thing I have a year to prepare, still.) LOL

Thanks for enlightening me to your routine. I've got the Martin Luther ordered at the library, so I can go through the sample guide, and give it a test-drive.

Rhonda