Menu

Uncontrollable laughter

Hi there,

My dd is 5.5 and has ASD. She has had occasional bouts of uncontrollable laughter in the past where she'll laugh at inappropriate times. However, the past two weeks have been really intense. This morning she laughed for over two hours while we attempted to do school. She would regain control for a minute or two only to lose it again. Last night she laughed in her bed at bedtime for close to an hour. Does anyone else deal with this behavior? Any advice on how to approach it? It feels odd to get frustrated by something like laughter but it can be quite maddening. She seems to laugh the hardest when she is being reprimanded or when her sister is being told not to do something, which only adds to my frustration.

Anyone out there experience this?

Thanks so much for any input.

All the best,

Edie

Our DAN dr. says that can be a symptom of systemic yeast infection. He wants to do some anti-yeast treatments as soon as DD finishes the research study she's in on methyl B12 (we can't make any changes until that's over). Here is a useful article on yeast. HTH!

Interesting! I experienced this recently (for a few days) with my youngest and it did coincide with what I felt was a yeast infection. Thank you for the article!

Does she seemed distressed by it during or after? For some kids this kind of uncontrolled laughter can be just slightly removed from crying. I'm wondering if general sensory calming or organizing strategies - tight hugs, weighted blanket, etc. might work.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. She doesn't seem too particularly distressed after but I do think the sensory techniques are a great suggestion. Generally, she craves tight hugs when she's overstimulated so I'll definitely give it a try. I appreciate your response.

Our DAN dr. says that can be a symptom of systemic yeast infection. He wants to do some anti-yeast treatments as soon as DD finishes the research study she's in on methyl B12 (we can't make any changes until that's over). Here is a useful article on yeast. HTH!

Thanks so much! That article is really helpful. Thanks so much for sending it. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.