Menu

Help me assemble a complete list of science curricula & books for elementary & logic

x-post from the k-8 curriculum board

There have been so many threads about science recently, and I feel like many homeschoolers don't have a clear understanding of the materials that are available. It especially takes newbies quite a bit of time to get their head around the options.

So....I would like to organize a list of what is out there with a small blurb about the approach and what types of kids it would be good for. My thought is that each of us can write up what we have used, and I can organize it into a big list. So what I need:

Is it a curriculum, experiment set, or book?

Title plus a link

A brief description

If it is a complete or partial year course (if a curriculum)

Level of material or what types of students would enjoy it

If a student can use it independently

If it includes tests

If it includes the supplies needed for experiments

Please note if the material has a christian, YE, or other important POV.

If you are recommending books, I would like to restrict it to large books that cover an entire topic well, rather than short nonfiction books or biographies (there was just a thread on living books that I can make up a list from some other time). And feel free to add to someone else's write up. I can merge everyone's ideas at the end, put it out for editing, and then post a final copy (yes, all in my free time :tongue_smilie: - meaning this might take me a few weeks).

I will start. :001_smile:

Books (see note above about types of books):

The New Way Things Work - Explains with wonderful diagrams how simple machines work. Covers gears, flight, sound, and magnetism. Late elementary to Logic Stage Physics

Curricula:

The Elements by McHenry - Focuses on atomic structure, basic bonding, and trends in the periodic table. Large focus on becoming familiar with the periodic table. Includes numerous games to memorize symbol names and facts about the elements. Includes links to good websites, easy experiments with everyday materials, and crafts just for fun. Can be used with either elementary or logic stage students. A 1/2 year course.

Well, that should give you a feel for what I am after. Open to suggestions about how to make this list the most useful possible. Thanks for your help,

Ruth in NZ

Come over to the k-8 board to see what has been accomplished already.