Menu

Kindergerten plans in the works and need "fun" ideas

bttrflyvld

Ok so I have the 3's figured out for what i want to do. Now to add the "fun" into kindergarten. I have memories of going to kindergarten and all the fun things we did (public school). And I want my daughters to have fond memories of all the fun stuff they did too.

Now that I've figured out and have a great foundations to our k year, any suggestions of some fun things I could do or fun subjects I could add? (ie project ideas, subjects to add with curriculum ideas, any fun curriculum idea)

I was thinking of buying an ant farm, or a butterfly kit. Or something like that.

What if you also found some quality seasonal/nature stories to go with the habitats?

We use Enki for seasonal nature stories and try to incorporate crafts and handwork around those stories. Also, my K'er loves songs. Nature songs, bible songs, learning songs...he loves them.

We also use beanbags for math, which my Kindy guy loves too.

We did the butterfly kit when my oldest was 4 and they did it again in PS kindergarten, which was a hit. We will do it again. We watched related videos, read books, made related art.

DD also loved starting SOTW in K and all the Jim Weiss audio. Most of my fun memories and what DD seems to be enjoying now in PS are related to seasonal art projects and music class. Also dress up - pilgrims for Thanksgiving, etc.

What if you also found some quality seasonal/nature stories to go with the habitats?

We use Enki for seasonal nature stories and try to incorporate crafts and handwork around those stories. Also, my K'er loves songs. Nature songs, bible songs, learning songs...he loves them.

We also use beanbags for math, which my Kindy guy loves too.

What is Enki?

We focused on Seasonal activities and holidays. Plus circle time. Throw in some field trips and there you go! :001_smile: If she likes crafts we loved this book. We did a couple experiment kits - Magic School Bus Rainbow and Germs ones. We also did a butterfly garden, ant farm, raised quail eggs and hatched a frog. For circle time we did Calendar days of the week and the month. We also recorded the weather (she drew a picture of the weather daily) then put the temperature and "sunny" "windy", etc. We also did memory work during circle time - a poem and bible verse a month. Plus nature study, I took her outside and just let her explore and followed her. Then we added lots of books! I can give you the list if you want.

I'm pretty sure last year was my favorite K year I've taught. :)

Edited by Just Jane

Your siggy already looks fun :) Do you not want to continue with FIAR?

You could make units based on a book, a theme (apples,sharks), holidays, current events, etc... I would include cooking, art projects, library books, homeschool share, coloring pages,.... If you want something already scheduled you could pick up a mfw k manual (not the whole shebang). Ants and butterflies are always a hit :) Schedule field trips and library days and make them happen. The most important thing is to find a balance you are comfortable with. Don't get so stressed feeling like you have to keep up with xyz science curriculum in k because you bought it, kwim?

Don't underestimate the value of those classic childhood games and songs. I love to hear my girls run around singing "Bluebird bluebird through my window". So precious! We play heads up 7up and 4 corners and hide and seek.

Art! You could go cheap with Deep Space Sparkle or free chalk tutorials or you could look into something like Home Art Studio, Atelier, or Artistic Pursuits.

Peaceful and productive.