Menu

Please tell me the difference between R&S and CLE

faiths13

We are using CLE math and LA and like it ok. I have heard R&S is great too. I am wondering what the main differences are between the two. Ive heard CLE is spiral based - what about R&S? My sons have been going through CLE math and LA and not seeming to retain it very well...

Rod and Staff is mastery based, and mostly textbooks beyond the first few grades. The teacher editions are awesome. They have an answer key with a full student page like CLE, and they also have scripted teaching lessons if needed, oral quizzes, and extra teaching tips. They really hold your hand and make it easy.

Rod and Staff is mastery based, and mostly textbooks beyond the first few grades. The teacher editions are awesome. They have an answer key with a full student page like CLE, and they also have scripted teaching lessons if needed, oral quizzes, and extra teaching tips. They really hold your hand and make it easy.

oh that sounds great! thanks for the info!

oh another question - do you need both the text books and the worksheets? i noticed that the text books have exercise sets as well.

That depends on which specific book you're looking at. :001_smile:

I'm guessing from your signature and OP that you're looking at the English, Spelling by Sound and Structure, and math for logic stage kids.

English: Worksheets are optional. They're merely extra practice for 1/3-1/2 of the lessons. We really only dig this out for exercises with lots of punctuation, for example. The longer we do this series the less we pull that booklet out. The TE will tell you when there is a worksheet coordinated to a lesson. There's also a test booklet, which I do get and use.

Spelling by Sound and Structure: Workbooks are necessary for grades 2-5. Grades 6-8 don't have workbook options; the student text is necessary for those levels.

Math: The workbooks only have drills in them for the ages you're looking at. Again, there's a separate test booklet. I get and use both regularly. The TE will tell you when there's a drill attached to a lesson.