Menu

Can I move from JAG to AG season 2?

My oldest (8th grade) really wanted to finish the JAG book we started just before the end of the year (7th grade) he's now finished it and I'm wondering do we have to do AG season 1, or can we move right into AG season 2?

I know from looking at the TOC that AG season 1 is the same S&S as JAG. We didn't do JAG mechanics which is fine because I know that mechanics will come up in AG season 3.

I do have the AG review and reinforcement book, could I just do that for a few weeks before moving into AG season 2?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I think you could go from JAG to Season 2 if your student has the Season 1 material down cold. Before moving on, however, I would certainly set aside time to read through and practice some of the sentences from Season 1. The sentences in JAG are much more simplified compared to AG. You would want to make sure all of the nuances of each lesson have been covered. For example, in the section for pronouns in AG, lots of kinds of pronouns are mentioned: subject, object, possessive, demonstrative, relative, etc... I can't remember if this level of depth is taught in JAG.

I would think it would be better to use AG for this level of review instead of the Reinforcement book simply because there is no teaching in the Reinforcement book. Of course, the Reinforcement would be fine to use to check for mastery in parsing and diagramming.

My ds used CLE-LA for grades 4,5, and 6. CLE taught all the concepts in AG Season 1. This year, in 7th grade, he's moved to AG Season 2 without much trouble at all. Yet there have been a few times that I had to reference him back to Season 1. For example, AG Season 1 teaches some 2-word prepositions. He didn't cover that in CLE. Also, he needed to review all of the pronouns like I mentioned above. Ds has only recently hit a few snags especially with adjective clauses which he just finished last week. It became painfully obvious in checking the adjective clause test that the devil is in the details. Incorrectly parsing caused him to miss points in the job section as well as in the diagramming. I tell him that AG isn't necessarily hard.... but it is very slippery! He has to be very careful!

You'll want to stress that the sentence parsing, job identification, and diagramming all go hand-in-hand. If your student parses a word incorrectly, it could cost points if that word is listed in the job identification section. That incorrectly parsed word could also create a mistake in diagramming.

For these reasons, just be sure that your student really has the Season 1 lessons down cold. Definitely practice some of the more complicated Season 1 sentences before moving onto Season 2. You want him to have mastery of Season 1 skills before moving onto Season 2.

Sorry so long!:001_smile:

Thank you for your answer. I'm actually very glad it was so long. You really went into detail for me and that is just what I needed.

It's been quite a long time (at least 5-6 months) since we did the pronoun unit, and I know it talked about different groups of pronouns, but I'm not sure just how much depth it went to anymore. My son is familiar with the "slipperiness" you mentioned with AG, in that he's had some times where the parsing leads to the Job being wrong which leads to the diagram being wrong.

I think what I'll do for now is take him through Season one at an accelerated pace as a review. Like maybe do the notes and then if he aces the first activity page we move on, if not we do the next, and so on until we either exhaust the activities and Reinforcement and review pages or he's seem to have it down cold.

I don't want to rush this as grammar has been a rough spot for him in the past, but I've noticed that knowing it has helped his writing so it is a subject I feel is important.

Thanks again for your detailed response it really helped.

Thank you for your answer. I'm actually very glad it was so long. You really went into detail for me and that is just what I needed.

It's been quite a long time (at least 5-6 months) since we did the pronoun unit, and I know it talked about different groups of pronouns, but I'm not sure just how much depth it went to anymore. My son is familiar with the "slipperiness" you mentioned with AG, in that he's had some times where the parsing leads to the Job being wrong which leads to the diagram being wrong.

I think what I'll do for now is take him through Season one at an accelerated pace as a review. Like maybe do the notes and then if he aces the first activity page we move on, if not we do the next, and so on until we either exhaust the activities and Reinforcement and review pages or he's seem to have it down cold.

I don't want to rush this as grammar has been a rough spot for him in the past, but I've noticed that knowing it has helped his writing so it is a subject I feel is important.

You're welcome! I hope you enjoy AG as much as we have!

I think your plan sounds great. We just finished Season 1 and I would be hesitant to skip it altogether for the same reasons Alabama mentioned. We have absolutely loved JAG and AG! I actually bought 2 student books and I work alongside ds because I was never taught grammar in a way that made sense to me. This program has been perfect for us.

I think your plan sounds great. We just finished Season 1 and I would be hesitant to skip it altogether for the same reasons Alabama mentioned. We have absolutely loved JAG and AG! I actually bought 2 student books and I work alongside ds because I was never taught grammar in a way that made sense to me. This program has been perfect for us.

Love the idea of working it alongside him. I think I was taught most of season 1 in middle school (the only time we did diagramming at all) in like a 6 week crash course as part of 7th grade english. I don't think I want to get another student book, but I could work a day ahead of him and just right my answers on paper.