Menu

Prof B E-Learn

MooCow

I signed up for a month, then canceled and bought the books. I think spending a couple weeks online helped me use the books better. I had a bit of trouble unsubscribing.

It's pretty pricey for what you get. It's pretty much windows 3.1 type technology. There isn't even any sound. Some of the flashing lessons flash too quickly, which drove me nuts.

The online includes a few lessons not in the books. The books are pretty much just arithmetic and the online added some time lessons and something else, to level 1. I never saw the upper levels.

One of the things I like about PB, is that the curriculum is narrow and focuses on arithmetic. I prefer to teach non arithmetic in unit studies using with picture books and hands on activities. I absolutely despise workbooks full of clocks and measuring and calendars. I actually get a stomach ache looking at them, and picturing how I'll ever schedule in all that mess and still fit in the core arithmetic.

I like to teach arithmetic with texts, but not the other strands of mathematics. I think the beauty and simplicity and logic of the Arabic/Hindu decimal system is lost when buried in a bunch of other maths, all splashed across a page as review.

I feel like I teach Professor B better after reading How to Tutor and Guide to American Christian Education, and a bunch of kids resources on the Arabic/Hindu decimal system.

I'm using PB right now combined with the copywork in How to Tutor. I don't think it's perfect, but I don't have anything better, so...I use it. I found it helpful to mark the book up extensively. There are no rule boxes, or diagrams, just text.

PB is efficient and gets the job done, if YOU can get yourself organized. It's all YOU teaching. Nothing is written to the student and workbook pages are lean with no instructions, and most students will need more practice. I use copywork from HTT, online drill, workbooks etc that were very easily and cheaply obtained, but still took some research and experimentation on my part.

The online is much more open and go than the texts, but not worth the price, in my opinion. It definitely does work though, if you are prepared to sit and click through the silent and slightly awkward lessons.

Thank you! I appreciate your feedback.

He is doing dreambox, but I'm looking for something more substantional. He detests workbooks, and gets very upset when he sees a worksheet filled with math problems. I am incorporating Math It, but it's just not enough.

Edited by MooCow

Thank you! I appreciate your feedback.

He is doing dreambox, but I'm looking for something more substantional. He detests workbooks, and gets very upset when he sees a worksheet filled with math problems. I am incorporating Math It, but it's just not enough.

Have you tried writing one problem at a time on a white board or blackboard? Then erase it when done, and write a new one.

You might want to google "math on the level" . Also Kitchen Table Math.

IMG_8643+(1).jpg

Edited by Hunter