Menu

How do I solve it if there's no solution

dbmamaz

Ok, my son is 16 and bipolar/pdd-nos/tourettes/processing issues. He's also pretty bright.

He is using LOF Beg Algebra as a review after doing the first two years of upper level singapore. Sometimes LOF's non-linear approach bothers him, but so far, so good.

However, he's been in a 'mood' for a few days now.

Today he had a problem to 'solve the following equations using graphing'. He said he cant solve it, and showed me the graph. The lines are parralell and dont meet.

i said thats the answer, they are paralell so they dont meet so there is no solution.

"But how can I SOLVE something when there is no SOLUTION!"

He is totally stuck on this. I tried to explain that the word 'solve' sort of means 'find the answer' and the answer in this case is that they are parallel so there is no one answer to both equations, but he's obsessing over the words and saying his head hurts.

I'm getting so tired of these (and other) tantrums . . . he's 16 yo, he needs to learn to follow the meaning of the word, not a precise definition .. words have to be USED . . . not just defined.

any btdt ideas to help?

he did manage to move on, still stressing, but doing ok. and i know he's stressed about the PSAT tomorrow. uggg.

Thanks, Doodler, thats a good idea. I might try writing the author - he is very responsive.

i also think we just discovered that he had run out of one of his meds and not noticed. as in, i had gotten the new prescription but he hadnt noticed and had left it out of his pill organizer. hopefully he will be doing better by tomorrow!