Menu

Anyone supplemented Artistic Pursuits?

tomandlorih

Well, we do several things for art besides AP, but I don't try to line up the lessons or anything. We do artist studies with "World's Greatest Artists" books and the Usborne Art Treasury. My dc also do Mark Kistler online to practice drawing.

I try to get books on the artist featured and also some of the artist's other paintings.

:iagree: This is what I try to do as well as a small bio about the artist. It's a nice combo, some art history, art appreciation, and then ART! :)

Reading books, extra projects, anything.. Specifically K-3 Book 2 but I'll look at suggestions for any of the books and maybe it will jog my imagination. :lol: Thanks!!

Lori

I download each weeks painting from the Internet and displaying it on my computer full size. I also take this save photo and have it printed out at my local photo store. (I did 10 weeks worth at once). We keep these stored in a small photo album with a 3x5 card next to them with the paintings name and the artists name. My son loves to go through the painting each day and name the title and artist from memory.

When we have a lesson, I introduce the piece of art, discuss it, analyze it with a series of questions about its colors, movement, mood, the story it is telling, what might be happening outside of the picture that we can't see etc...

You could also add in artist biographies but in the level I am using that is included (Level 4-6).

I am also adding in Draw Squad for actual drawing instruction. I feel artistic pursuits really lacks in this area. Children need to be taught how to form 3D objects so I add this in to the beginning of class. Our art schedule looks like this:

5 minutes looking at art prints

10-15 minutes doing a draw squad activity

40-45 minutes doing the lesson from Artistic Pursuits

Since I am doing the book that only includes drawing, I am also supplementing with additional projects using different media. For instance, last week we learned about value in our drawing. So this week I did a value painting. I had them write their name in bubble letters on a large piece of art paper to start with. Then we painted the middle letter a solid blue. Then moving to the right, we added white to the blue, progressively making each additional letter a lighter tint. Moving to the left of the middle letter, we added black to the blue making each letter a darker shade. I came up with this project but I often get additional ideas on the Internet. There are a lot of wonderful art blogs out there.

I download each weeks painting from the Internet and displaying it on my computer full size. I also take this save photo and have it printed out at my local photo store. (I did 10 weeks worth at once). We keep these stored in a small photo album with a 3x5 card next to them with the paintings name and the artists name. My son loves to go through the painting each day and name the title and artist from memory.

When we have a lesson, I introduce the piece of art, discuss it, analyze it with a series of questions about its colors, movement, mood, the story it is telling, what might be happening outside of the picture that we can't see etc...

You could also add in artist biographies but in the level I am using that is included (Level 4-6).

I am also adding in Draw Squad for actual drawing instruction. I feel artistic pursuits really lacks in this area. Children need to be taught how to form 3D objects so I add this in to the beginning of class. Our art schedule looks like this:

5 minutes looking at art prints

10-15 minutes doing a draw squad activity

40-45 minutes doing the lesson from Artistic Pursuits

Since I am doing the book that only includes drawing, I am also supplementing with additional projects using different media. For instance, last week we learned about value in our drawing. So this week I did a value painting. I had them write their name in bubble letters on a large piece of art paper to start with. Then we painted the middle letter a solid blue. Then moving to the right, we added white to the blue, progressively making each additional letter a lighter tint. Moving to the left of the middle letter, we added black to the blue making each letter a darker shade. I came up with this project but I often get additional ideas on the Internet. There are a lot of wonderful art blogs out there.

Wow, great ideas, thanks for sharing!! I am going to try and incorporate some of these fantastic ideas!