Menu

Major Time Travelers & SOTW question

frogpond1

I know you cannot do it all... but this is fantastic. My CDs just arrived all 3 of them and I really love it. Are you adding it into Story of the World, or running a US history thread alongside SOTW? I cannot do it all...ughhh... I am using this in a two day co-op and I'm really curious about your spines? Is anyone just using this and assigning good books to read? Help me pare it all down. I absolutely love the beauty and creativity of these lessons.

I bought the Explorers and was so torn about what to do. I just couldn't spare a whole month just on TT. So far, this is how I'm doing it. I may end up cutting stuff out, once I fill in the rest of the week schedules with other subjects, but I hope not. I'm using this with SOTW 2, but I am not using the AG with SOTW this time around, so I'm not having to choose between those activities and TT.

I'm going to take 1 week and do lessons 1,3,4,6 - one lesson a day.

Then, I'm doing chs 28 and 31 - Explorers/Spain, with library books, and TT lesson 7,11, 13, 14, 17 - this will take 2 weeks. The Explorer Weekly and the Explorer Profiles will be her copywork for the days she does it. I can see how using TT would easily overwhelm dd with all the writing.

Week 4 and 5 - SOTW ch 32 and 33. TT lessons 9, 12, 18, 19 I've tried to match up the explorers with SOTW, and I've had to cut out some just for the sake of time. We'll go through this again in 3 years.

Week 6 is Reformation in SOTW - I just can't afford to stop that for another week. So for TT, we're doing the Pirate lessons, and putting the lapbook together and having the concluding party.

For each lesson, I have the reading, the newspaper and profiles, the map routes, and a worksheet or project. Some lesosns don't have any projects, so those weeks will be lighter. I also have the cooking added in. I have an Edupress activity book on the mayan/inca/aztecs that I'm adding a couple of crafts in from.

If it ends up that it is too much work each week, I think I will probably just go lighter on the other subjects, b/c I just can't stretch this out forever, as much as I'd love too.

I'm doing the end of SOTW 2- Reformation/Rennaissance/explorers and then SOTW3 which I've cut into colonies and revolution. I'm doing 10 weeks of each so I'm just going to pick explorer activities for 10 weeks, colony activities for 10 and revolution for 10 and just keep the world history going. I'm ditching a few chapters just to get it done.

What about mapwork? Are you still doing SOTW mapwork?

We're just starting year 3 (Biblioplan/SOTW 3). I bought the Colonial Life CD to try out this summer, and if it works out for us, I'll probably get the Am Rev and the Early 19th Century CDs. Now, how to fit it in?

First of all, history will be year round this year, and probably next year too. Just too many books we want to read and things we want to do. We love history here, so it's no chore to go year round. Second, we don't do the AG activities. We do the coloring pages and mapwork with the reading. Third, I will pick and choose activities from the Time Travelers CD. There's no way I would try to do it all or even most of it. My kiddos are still on the young end (3rd and K). I will save the CD for our next time through and expect them to be able to do a lot more and do it more independently too. We're doing the free sample of Jamestown from the website right now, and after they do the coloring, guess who is doing the cutting and assembling. So for us, Time Travelers will be supplemental, not the main focus. And I think I will be the one enjoying it the most!

What about mapwork? Are you still doing SOTW mapwork?
I didn't buy the AG at all - I'm one of the apparent few who just really didn't care for it. We're doing Trail Guide to World Geo. for mapwork - I rearranged the chapters of that to line up with SOTW, and if there are certain historical maps I want, I have a historical atlas map book for them to look at. Eventually I want to get the Knowledge Quest maps, but I ran out of money this summer.

I bought the Explorers and was so torn about what to do. I just couldn't spare a whole month just on TT. So far, this is how I'm doing it. I may end up cutting stuff out, once I fill in the rest of the week schedules with other subjects, but I hope not. I'm using this with SOTW 2, but I am not using the AG with SOTW this time around, so I'm not having to choose between those activities and TT.

I'm going to take 1 week and do lessons 1,3,4,6 - one lesson a day.

Then, I'm doing chs 28 and 31 - Explorers/Spain, with library books, and TT lesson 7,11, 13, 14, 17 - this will take 2 weeks. The Explorer Weekly and the Explorer Profiles will be her copywork for the days she does it. I can see how using TT would easily overwhelm dd with all the writing.

Week 4 and 5 - SOTW ch 32 and 33. TT lessons 9, 12, 18, 19 I've tried to match up the explorers with SOTW, and I've had to cut out some just for the sake of time. We'll go through this again in 3 years.

Week 6 is Reformation in SOTW - I just can't afford to stop that for another week. So for TT, we're doing the Pirate lessons, and putting the lapbook together and having the concluding party.

Thanks for sharing your plan. This helps me out a lot! :D