Menu

Dyslexic/dysgraphic 504 plan help

For those who have gotten long term results from your 504 plan like College Board accommodations, what did you have written into your 504 plan during the elementary years?

I'm dealing with a school district who I don't think takes the need for accommodation seriously with a 2E kid and the first draft of the 504 is pretty weak. I'm thinking it should say:

1. Extended time on all tests and work.

2. Option to write in test booklet, not on scantron.

3. Scribe

4. Qualifies for Teacher's lecture notes or designated note-taker.

5. Keyboarded assignments and essay tests.

6. Testing to occur in a quiet room by himself or in a small group.

7. Reader for the test

8. Audiobook support for all textbooks and assigned reading.

9. Option to use writing supports like Don Johnson Solo 6 series for all written assignments and reports.

10. Template-based writing prompts.

What have I forgotten? Anything else I should have in writing?

Oh, and maybe something to the effect not to call on him unless he raises his hand. Seriously. I had this on my DD 504 - she was not to be "cold" called on or read out loud in class unless SHE raised her hand.

This is a really good idea, and something I would not have thought about - thanks!

Oh, and maybe something to the effect not to call on him unless he raises his hand. Seriously. I had this on my DD 504 - she was not to be "cold" called on or read out loud in class unless SHE raised her hand.

:iagree:

Many teachers don't follow this one outside of read out loud but if your child ever has a behavior problem due to cold calling it helps sort it out.

1. Extended time on all tests and work.

You need to add a limit to amount of time spent on homework/ take home work. Rule of thumb around here is 30 min over schools policy for homework.

4. Qualifies for Teacher's lecture notes or designated note-taker.

I would add right to video tape or record lecture.

9. Option to use writing supports like Don Johnson Solo 6 series for all written assignments and reports.

I'd remove the #6 so if the 504 last longer than the software you child isn't tied to an old version or level of help. Software is changing and improving all the time.

This needs to be written so that it your child's choice because option sounds like something the teacher will get to decide. Access to writing support during assignments class time need to be addressed. I've seen many exceptional kids not allowed tools during their school day but everyone else has a chance to work on the assignment. You might need to provide the technology but this would get it in the door.