Menu

Anyone have a child like this?

My ds is 8. He is dx w/dyslexia, dysgraphia and possibly APD. He is a joy to teach. He struggles but he works hard and has only been hsed so he really doesn't understand his struggles in comparison to his peers. His attitude towards school is great.

Here is my problem. He has almost no ability to control his impulses. His curiosity almost always wins even if he know he should not do something. Some examples: he got into my jewelry box and took out 5 pairs of earrings and a ring. All valuable gold and played with them for a while and then shoved them in his desk. I had no idea they were missing until I was cleaning out his drawer the other day. I am missing a gold watch that was a gift from dh when he returned from his deployment in Iraq. I have NO idea where it is, ds denies he touched it, but I am pretty sure it was him. I wear it almost everyday except when I go swimming or workout and I haven't seen it since we went to the pool Labor Day weekend. He sometimes takes money out of my wallet, "to play store" and then doesn't put it back and I find it cleaning out the play room. Today he was messing w/dh's car cleaning supplies, just lining them up and filling the bucket with water. It is usually placed up high out of my littles reach. I found it all outside on the floor of the garage and my 3 yo was spraying cleaner on her bike. Luckily she is not the kind to put things in her mouth but needless to say, I was not happy that she was playing with toxic cleaning solutions. Right now we are searching the house for his AWANA book. He was "playing" church over the weekend and now can't seem to find it. He loses 2-3 books a year. I have expressly forbidden him to play with his school books/AWANA books bc they always get lost. I don't know how he does it, but he does.

I am honestly exhausted from trying to keep up with him. I can't trust him and I know he isn't doing this just to torture me but I am worn out. I have a 3 yo who is into everything and then I have him only I shouldn't have to watch him every minute of the day. He seems to have no filter as to appropriate/inappropriate behavior. He does ok with other kids although sometimes I will hear him telling his friends things that are ridiculous to all but him. For example, he is VERY short and he knows it but will be bragging about what a great b-ball player he is and how he will play for the NBA one day. He cannot even throw the ball hard enough to hit the basket. This would not bother me b/c boys talk trash but combine it with the other things and it seems like he doesn't have a good grasp on reality.

Anyone have any advice on ways to help him (and me!)?