Menu

Any TENNIS parents here?

I am about to put my toe over the line. :D

Ds 8yo has been involved in an after-school tennis club. The coach, as well as my dh who is an avid tennis player, seem to think that he has a lot of raw but natural talent. He also loves playing. And we live in year-round summer so playing opportunities are endless.

Today we got some information about joining the local tennis club, getting him into some "real" lessons, etc. Dh wants to go for it. He didn't start playing tennis until a few years ago and he loves it. He wants to give ds an opportunity to start young (you know, maybe he will get a college scholarship, yada yada yada).

So before I take this next step, what do I need to know? Is it going to cost an arm and a leg? Will I live at the tennis club? Give me the good, the bad and the ugly of being a tennis parent. :tongue_smilie:

Keep in mind my DD is younger than your DS. 1-2 times a practice for an hour. I don't consider it pricey at all. Much cheaper than DS's swimming and both kids gymnastics. I will warn you that to most of the parents here, practice is the most boring thing. It is described here as a patience torture test:lol:. I admit that 15 minutes feels like an hour so bring a book if you have to stay.

I don't know how different the tennis clubs are in Malaysia, but both my boys did tennis for many years when they were young. Everything was fine and dandy until they got to competition level. All the competitions were on Sundays, and all over the city at different times each week. The boys ended up quitting (fortunately it was mostly their decision) because our family is very involved with church activities on Sundays. In retrospect, I guess I would have still put them through the lessons because it's nice for them to be able to grab a friend (or each other ) and be able to have a fun game, but it was disappointing to not be able to test out their skills competitively.

Keep in mind my DD is younger than your DS. 1-2 times a practice for an hour. I don't consider it pricey at all. Much cheaper than DS's swimming and both kids gymnastics. I will warn you that to most of the parents here, practice is the most boring thing. It is described here as a patience torture test:lol:. I admit that 15 minutes feels like an hour so bring a book if you have to stay.

Good to know! I think I may have dh take that duty on since he loves the sport so much. :D