Menu

Lial Prealgebra 3rd edition

Does this come with a teacher's edition? Is one needed? dd12 has been doing prealgebra through FLVS and she is not doing well. She just wants to do a textbook and have me teach her. This is a milestone for this kiddo since me teaching her has always been the problem with her in the past. she is just frustrated and finally ready to accept some help. Any other suggestions for something that might work better than Lial's are welcomed.

We liked Lial's for pre-algebra. We didn't use the teacher's manual [is there one?], but it was nice to have the answers in the back of the book. For Lial's Algebra, you can get a student solutions manual with more detailed solutions, so you might look for that for the pre-algebra.

Does this come with a teacher's edition? Is one needed? dd12 has been doing prealgebra through FLVS and she is not doing well. She just wants to do a textbook and have me teach her. This is a milestone for this kiddo since me teaching her has always been the problem with her in the past. she is just frustrated and finally ready to accept some help. Any other suggestions for something that might work better than Lial's are welcomed.

We own the workbook and solutions manual Grantmom referenced above, which includes solution steps. We even purchased the video lectures from the publisher which come in a set of CDs. However to be honest Lial just wasn't for us. We didn't like the layout of the text. Its very busy, kind of scatter brained looking, almost 900 pages worth. Instead we ended up using a combination of MUS and TabletClass Pre-Algebra which we like better. For a textbook the MUS Pre-Algrebra workbook is pretty well layed out and easy to follow. At that level you don't need to use manipulatives. MUS comes with lectures which are short and to the point. I recently switched to using TabletClass as the spine because I found it more challenging, something I think ds11 was ready for. However I plan to weave in some MUS along with TabletClass when he hits certain areas which could use additional explanation from another perspective. I guess I could use something like Khan Academy for that as well.

Edited by dereksurfs

The actual teaching is right there in the student text. It's broken into baby steps, and clear. The teacher edition is like the student text with the answers filled in.

The solutions manual on the other hand, has every step of every problem included. For correcting and helping dd get unstuck, this one was immensely helpful.

the solution manual is useful.

I'm looking at L's p-a. It is a big fat book. How did you utilize it?

Roughly, margin exercises and 1/3 of the exercises on one day, the other 2/3 of the exercises on the next day, then start a new lesson on the third day. The lessons aren't even enough in workload to stick to that rigidly though. We ended up switching it to just working for a solid hour. She picked up where she left off the next day.

Roughly, margin exercises and 1/3 of the exercises on one day, the other 2/3 of the exercises on the next day, then start a new lesson on the third day. The lessons aren't even enough in workload to stick to that rigidly though. We ended up switching it to just working for a solid hour. She picked up where she left off the next day.

Just curious if you went through all ~ 900 pages of the textbook? Did you find the layout and writting style somewhat difficult/busy? Even though we didn't like it I've heard from other who seem to. I need to get around to selling the books soon as they are just sitting around collecting dust.

Edited by dereksurfs

Just curious if you went through all ~ 900 pages of the textbook? Did you find the layout and writing style somewhat difficult/busy? Even though we didn't like it I've heard from other who seem to. I need to get around to selling the books soon as they are just sitting around collecting dust.

We also got most of the way through it last year. DD liked it much better than anything else I offered her. I would go through the problem sets and choose the ones that she needed to do, so she certainly wasn't doing every problem. She spent about 45 minutes a day.

I thought that the layout was a nice balance. The problem pages had lots of white space. The other books we tried were PH, which is extremely busy, and AoPS which is pure text, and Lial's is in between.

Edited by matilda

Not quite. She probably would have finished it months ago if life hadn't kept getting in the way. :tongue_smilie:

One of my kids does totally fine with Lial's. The other one didn't. They are polar opposite children.

The hyper, easily distracted DC didn't do well with Lial's.

So do you lecture from the book? Is that what you mean in terms of getting in the way? It didn't look like the kind of thing I could just give ds11 and say go to it. This seems to require more parent involvement than some of the other programs we've use such as MUS, CLE, KineticBooks, TableClass.