Menu

Good WWII Books?

Scuff

We kind of are having an impromptu WWII study. We read a biography on Corrie Ten Boom and then one on Brother Andrew. I had forgotten Bro Andrew was also from Holland and also lived during WWII. So, it's prompted interest and questions. Any good books we can read to learn more about this time period? My children are 7, 5, and 4, but I'd want something geared towards the older ones. Annika just picks up things here and there as we go ;) . Books DS7 could read onhis own would be great too (2-4gr. reading level?) I'd like to study this for a bit and then springboard into modern Israeli history, so if anyone has any suggestions for that, it'd be appreciated as well! Thanks!

I LOVE World War II for Kids!! I actually just loaned it to a friend who is covering WWII this summer and she loves it too. I used it as a reference for a co-op class with ages 6-11 a couple of years ago. My friends' boys are aged 8-12.

Oh, and the Five in a Row book All Those Secrets of the World is also good, considering your kids' ages.

Good luck!

:D

The Winged Watchman my son LOVED! For my smaller ones we did The Children We Remember, and it is a picture book of actual Jews and Nazi soldiers. Oh- the Butterfly by Patricia Pollaco is a wonderful picture book about a little girl in France with Nazi's and how the family is hiding jews. Another one we really like is The Good Fight. Any of the landmark chapter book in the time period are good,we have- From Pearl Harbor to Okinawa. One really neat thing we did was to write to my dh grandfather who fought and get his story. We watched the Movie Pearl harbor- editing as need be for the younger children. We could spend alot of time on WWII- it is one of my ds favorite topics.