Menu

McGuffey's Penmanship?

momma2three

I've been reading the teacher's guide for the 19th century "Eclectic" textbooks, and it's interesting. It caught my eye that there was a penmanship series. I can find the teacher's guide easily on Google Books, but it came to my attention that there were 9 copy books, too. I can't find these online anywhere, and I'd love to see them: I love old handwriting.

I also find it very interesting that after book #4, there are separate copy books for boys and girls. The description says that everything between the two is the same, except that the one for the girls encourages smaller writing.

(Here is the Eclectic Manual of Methods, and Here is the handwriting manual, if anyone wanted to see them)

I don't know if this is what you're looking for . . . They're Spencerian, which is not the method mentioned . . .

http://www.amazon.com/Spencerian-Penmanship-Theory-Book-copybooks/dp/088062096X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347714905&sr=8-1&keywords=Spenserian+workbooks

http://www.MottMedia.com/pages/publications.asp?Pub=workbook#Writing

These are available. I've been ogling them for a while. I'd love them for myself lol. Spencerian handwriting is gorgeous. I'm not sure if those are the books you're referring to, or even if the two links are for the same or different books but maybe it would help.

The Eclectic version of the McGuffey's Readers that I use, use a hand that is vertical and simplified. I wish they had published a manual for the later vertical hand.

There are SO many issues to consider when choosing a hand for a student. And often a teacher will need to a choose a hand she believes in, master it herself, and then teach it to ALL students despite the fact that another hand might be better for a particular student.

I chose Spalding Writing Road to Reading 6th edition lowercase cursive, and uppercase manuscript. I have a remedial student who is making such progress with this hand right now, that has never been able to write properly in either manuscript or cursive. And it's a font that I have been able to master and can instantly produce an almost perfect model any time I want.

One of my concerns teaching handwriting is that other people will be able to read my student's writing, not just that my student can and likes writing it. As the public schools are dropping cursive instruction, this will become an increasing concern, unfortunately. I initially and tentatively chose to teach uppercase manuscript instead of uppercase cursive for ease for the student, but I have become committed to it, for ease of the reader, especially the future reader.

I love and use many vintage books, and continually read the vintage handwriting books. I have chosen not to use them though, other than for some of the general instructions.

I didn't necessarily want to use them to teach (we've already started using the Zaner Bloser handwriting series, and I really like that)... I just wanted to see what they looked like. I love looking at old handwriting... I wish I could write like that!

Thanks to both of you :)

Sorry :001_smile:

I love reading vintage handwriting books too. I have found that reading multiple curricula helps me better teach the one I have chosen. I'm starting to learn the educational theories that the Spalding instructions are based on. My teaching vocabulary is increasing and becoming more specific.

Sorry :001_smile:

I love reading vintage handwriting books too. I have found that reading multiple curricula helps me better teach the one I have chosen. I'm starting to learn the educational theories that the Spalding instructions are based on. My teaching vocabulary is increasing and becoming more specific.

I've really been enjoying reading the Eclectic Manual of Methods book. It's so funny to me that the "whole word" v "Phonics" debate has been going on for over a century. :lol:

I just thought it was interesting that there does seem to be a lot of interest in old textbooks, and they're pretty easy to find online, but I cannot find the handwriting copybooks anywhere! I wonder if it was the kind of thing that never got put in libraries, so there just aren't any more copies.

I was particularly interested in the 8th book, which is a book of "Bold, off-hand writing, German text, Old English, and Marking Letters." And I was interested in seeing the different handwriting styles for boys and girls.

I was particularly interested in the 8th book, which is a book of "Bold, off-hand writing, German text, Old English, and Marking Letters." And I was interested in seeing the different handwriting styles for boys and girls.

:iagree: I'll be keeping my eye out now...

Aw, I thought I found it, but it was just a copybook someone made from the primer.

The Primer level, at least, does exist in libraries: http://www.worldcat.org/title/eclectic-primary-copy-book/oclc/35055538

Going to keep looking. So annoying that not everything in the universe is available free on the internet yet! :tongue_smilie: