Menu

What in the world does this flag mean?

I noticed an odd flag flying on a pole outside a home I drove past today. It is the SC state flag (we live in SC, fwiw), minus the palmetto tree.

Now, this person had a yard full of various flags (the Confederate battle flag, the Gadsden flag, etc). I can guess at his/her political leanings, but I am utterly confused by the strange state flag. The palmetto tree was added in 1861 to recall a victory at Fort Moultrie during the American Revolution. I don't understand why any group would feel the need to remove it.

Googling has turned up nothing helpful, so perhaps the Hive can solve my mystery! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_South_Carolina

Maybe the Moultrie Flag or liberty flag?

No, the crescent had no words on it. Wikipedia makes it appear that the blue of the Moultrie flag is slightly different than our current state flag. The one I saw was the same as our current flag, but the palmetto was missing. It was just the (blank) crescent in the upper corner of a blue field.

Totally guessing, here, because I got curious and haven't found anything with Google, either. Is it possible it's a protest? Kind of a way of saying "Let's go back to the time before the Civil War."

Wikipedia says this: Along with the Gadsden flag, the Moultrie Flag has also become a symbol of the modern liberty movement.

And I found this site, which has the Moultrie Flag on a few of its pages: http://palmettorepublic.org/

"Third Palmetto Republic is a political blog written by a few folks in South Carolina who believe in the independence of every individual and the natural right to your own life and to do with it as you see fit, so long as you abide by the non-aggression principle. To that end, we publish articles and materials on the subject of government to illustrate its evils and educate our fellow South Carolinians and anyone else who might be interested."

Edited by Jenny in Florida

Totally guessing, here, because I got curious and haven't found anything with Google, either. Is it possible it's a protest? Kind of a way of saying "Let's go back to the time before the Civil War."

Perhaps. I honestly hadn't thought of that, because I don't like to think that my fellow citizens are so......inclined.:tongue_smilie: