Menu

Great ideas on the math storage! Wondering how you store maps

joy

two ways we store maps - in our school room we have a futon/sofa, so I have a large cardboard file folder designed for teachers to store bulletin board decorations, and I put maps in that, and slide them behind the sofa. The other thing we do, is I have one of those free standing hanging chart stands, and I have had grommets put into some of my maps (Kinkos will do this for about $1) and I can hang them from the chart stand.

I just dealt with this as well. Although I have wall space to hang maps I already have some one the wall that I want for the kids to be able to look at in addition to pulling one out when we're sitting down reading. So I bought a thick posterboard from Hobby Lobby and glued our world map down on it. On the other side I glued our dry-erase USA map. Now I can just slide it behind anything, anywhere, or just stand it upright against the wall.

You said you didn't want to hang the maps on the wall, but this idea might still be helpful if you have the space to hang it but just don't want it to show when you're not using it. Several years ago someone here suggested hanging a quilt or other artwork over maps, charts, etc. We have our periodic table behind a large, framed picture in the dining room. It was very easy to take down the picture when we needed to use the chart and cover it up again when we were done.