Menu

Geometry yet again--Lial or Jacobs?

My dd has done quite well with the Lial series. Before she dreaded math and thought she wasn't good at it. Now she is making straight A's in Introductory Algebra. My inclination is to continue the series.

However, I really want her to do proofs. Will the Lial text require that? Will Jacob's require more? Is there another text I should be considering?

I looked at Solomovich's website just to see if that was what I wanted. Frankly, the samples looked as if I would have to really study the material ahead of time and then spend a long time explaining it to her. I can't see me having time to do that and still give ample instruction to my other three students. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

One more thing, this dd wants to be a writer. She spends her spare time crafting stories for her friends.

Thanks,

Cathy

I just looked at Lial's Essentials of Geometry, and now I know why it gets negative reviews and is not recommended for high school. Tiny print, black and white, absolutely nothing exciting about it, and I could be wrong about this, but it looks like others (Jacob's, especially) cover more.

I was supposed to get a copy of Jacob's to do a test run on with my dd, but I forgot it was at another library, so I'll have to ILL it. Many on here have used Jacob's, though, so maybe someone will answer. Try googling:

site:wtmboards.com Jacobs Geometry, and hopefully you'll pull up some old threads.

What I did get from the library today is a copy of Discovering Geometry, an Inductive Approach by Michael Serra (Key Curriculum Press). I was very curious about this one after reading Cathy Duffy's review, but she recommends it be done with at least a small group. From what I've glanced so far it looks like a very hands-on, real-life approach that would thrill my dd, so I'm going to read it and see what I think.

I have to make this geometry decision, too! (And history!!). But really, I'd rule out Lial's geometry. We're doing Introductory Algebra this year, and love it, but the geometry is nothing like it. Oh, and I looked at the new Lial's - the ones that are listed on Prentice-Hall as 'classics' - teeny tiny print. No way - I'm glad we've got the old 7th ed (windmill on the cover). I need that big print!

Cathy -

I've been reading through the Discovering Geometry. It's really inventive, and I know I'd enjoy it, but it is just as Cathy Duffy said (gee, maybe that's why she writes curriculum reviews!). A good chunk of the lessons require groups of four students, working together. It's not one activity that could be skipped or adapted, but how the lesson is presented in the first place, or really I should say 'discovered'(introducing a new concept by group activities). But it is very creative. A little too much 'math journaling' for our taste, but still looks good. It even has a bunch of free activities online. But it won't work for just one student. :(

I wonder, again, *why on earth* our local co-ops don't use this. They use TT - which I could easily do at home. (Side rant - they also use Apologia instead of BJU, again - Apologia's easy to use at home). I am going to have to get after those people.

For me, it's probably going to be Jacobs' just because it will be the last one standing. But I think we'll be happy with that.