Menu

MOH questions...

Dianne-TX

We've been using MOH Vol. 1 and the only thing we do is read the lesson, talk about it, make a memory card (for every lesson, I changed up her recommendation. My kiddos like it and it also works into the written narration I want them to do.), and write the date and event/person in their BOC (Book of Centuries). We are almost finished with it, but have several more lessons. I've not done map work or really any of the activities included (except for the questions before and after a section of lessons). Help me get more out of it, please. I've not been able to nail down a wall timeline that will work for us which is why they use the BOC. The BOC is working well, I think. We have a huge book timeline that they open periodically just for fun. I specifically would like to know how you do map work and any other ideas. Thanks!

I went through and planned activities, coloring pages, extra books to read, and videos to watch with the lessons. Ex. we just studied about Ancient Egypt, so we read the Magic Tree House Mummies & Pyramids, watched a Netflix video on Egypt, then made barbie mummies. Sometimes we just have a coloring page for a lesson, sometimes we just write in our History journal. Are you a member of the yahoo group? Maybe they could help you out.

Oh, yes, I forgot to add that we do actually do supplemental readings (her list as well as others I find) and media (when available). I get a lot of library books on the topics we are covering and have those in our book basket/box. I am a member of the yahoo group. I'll try there, too.

I have my kids write a narration after a lesson. It may be a straight narration or it also may incorporate some research inspired by one of the questions/activities after the reading. They look up extra info in a history encyclopedia and the Oxford Ancient History.

They also do the folder books (or lapbooks). I bought the material for this from the MOH site somewhere. My kids enjoy doing this and it is good revision as it also includes writing about some of the topics covered. It adds a little bit of a creative element as well.