Menu

Clinginess when starting homeschool?

I started homeschooling my ds (5) one week ago. His older brother and sister attend PS and started classes the same day, and my DH is a teacher and started classes just before then. During the summer, we usually had neighborhood kids at our house. So we went from having a house full of people during the day to now having just my ds (5) and I.

I thought he would love the 1-on-1, and I think there have, but there have been lots of hiccups this week that surprised me, such as daily tantrums and negativity. But the strangest thing to me is that he has become super clingy just within this past week. He has always been a bit of a "Mama's boy" but now he is getting tearful if I leave him with my DH and the other kids while I go out, and wants me to hold him constantly. He was adopted at 8 months and definitely had a tough time attaching, but he has never been this clingy.

Has anyone else experienced this with the beginning of the school year? I thought having more time with me during the day would make him less needy of my time in the evenings/weekends, but it seems to be having the opposite effect...