Menu

Video game consoles for special needs teen

LNC

We bought our 15yo son (with mental disabilities) a Wii for the summer. He loves to play Lego games and but the motion sports games weren't a hit ( but my husband and other son can play those occasionally).

He doesn't like his Marvel hero games on the Wii bc they graphics are horrible. High graphics games like Transformers Cybertron aren't even available on the Wii.

He knows how to watch his favorite titles on Youtube by copying the title into the search box. What usually comes up are the Ps3 or Xbox games with awesome graphics and he has been wanting one of those consoles. I'm thinking a Ps3 is the better deal.

We spend so much money on our other kids activities and our special needs teen has so few interests. I really want to get him the Ps3 for his bday next month in addition to his Wii. He has been having health issues that are horribly distressing as well. So, I want him to have something he likes to do that he can lay down and play...

SO, all of that to explain myself and ask my questions!

Can you plug both systems into the same tv at the same time?

Is the hand control really hard to use? He got the hang of the Wii no problem.

Do you think a 160gb for Ps3 $249 is the best option? I'm not sure about used from Gamestop. We tried that with the Wii and it didn't work when we got it home. It was junk, so we exchanged it for a nice new one.

Thanks!

Edited by LNC

I consulted with my 15 year old on this. He too loves good graphics and doesn't do well with sports and motion games on the Wii. Over the past years we have all three systems and all three boys use them for different things.

The PS3 has better graphics but if he likes Lego type things then Minecraft is only on the Xbox.

Depending on how many inputs you have on the TV itself you can hook both systems up as long as they both aren't on at the same time. They have to be on different inputs.

My oldest says he adapted pretty well to the PS3 controller. PS3's also have the 'Move' control that is a motion control add on. We don't have it cause oldest doesn't play the type of games that require it.

The Xbox would come with Kinect these day which is also motion control.

Oldest says that the PS3 deal you mentioned is a good deal. And he does lie down to play his games a lot. (He is into NASCAR racing games, Sonic and games like that but he does like Minecraft on the Xbox too)

Hope this helps some. :)

I consulted with my 15 year old on this. He too loves good graphics and doesn't do well with sports and motion games on the Wii. Over the past years we have all three systems and all three boys use them for different things.

The PS3 has better graphics but if he likes Lego type things then Minecraft is only on the Xbox.

Depending on how many inputs you have on the TV itself you can hook both systems up as long as they both aren't on at the same time. They have to be on different inputs.

My oldest says he adapted pretty well to the PS3 controller. PS3's also have the 'Move' control that is a motion control add on. We don't have it cause oldest doesn't play the type of games that require it.

The Xbox would come with Kinect these day which is also motion control.

Oldest says that the PS3 deal you mentioned is a good deal. And he does lie down to play his games a lot. (He is into NASCAR racing games, Sonic and games like that but he does like Minecraft on the Xbox too)

Hope this helps some. :)

My son wouldn't play with Minecraft anyway- he's weak spatially... Thanks so much for the help!