Menu

Which was easier for you to teach: FLL 3 or R&S?

KIN

I'm STILL trying to decide. I'm buying FLL 3 used and already have R&S. I had decided on R&S, now I'm back tracking to FLL. I like that FLL has poetry and definition memorization. Plus, I'm trying (really, really hard) to ease up on our school work next year. I'm thinking FLL might be a little easier for my 3rd grader and for me too. What say you? :)

Way back when, before I decided to go w/ another approach altogether :) I was decided btwn those 2 as well. I had finally "decided" on FLL3 b/c of the workbook approach and simplicity of the lessons. It was a bit more "gentle" than R&S. I thought my ds could handle it better. Then, I decided to go the LLATL and PLL route and forgo R&S AND FLL! I'm not much help, I know, but my vote *was* FLL3 out of those 2 choices. :)

I think R & S is easier to teach because you give the lesson up front and then turn your child loose to do the assignment. With FLL3, you are basically with the child during the entire (fairly short) lesson. I think FLL3 is much easier for the child though. There are much fewer practice exercises in FLL3 and the lines are given for the diagramming.

We used FLL3 last year and it didn't seem to stick with ds. Some here have said they love having the diagramming lines, but I thought it made them too easy. There would be sentences with the subject, a verb, and either an adjective or adverb. Ds didn't have to think about which word the "extra word" modified and whether or not it was an adjective or adverb because it just went on the extra diagonal line provided.

I had used R & S 3 with dd, and we are switching ds to R & S for 4th grade.