Menu

Rethinking K

a27mom

K was supposed to be simple, now I discovered I am really looking at first grade. But I am trying to shift my paradigm to slow and deep.

Holly is 5 today. I got SM 1A in the mail this weekend. First of all is that really 1st grade math? 5 of the 9 units will be complete review for her. But I definitely think we could spend some time in the way addition, subtraction, and numbers to 20, are presented. She actually can do much of this already. (we were already a good way into horizons K. But I felt she was just getting the problems done and not mastering the depth of the concepts. )

I am trying to hold myself back. My initial instinct is we could get through this stuff quick and move on. But thanks to this board I ordered the intensive practice instead of the workbook and realize we could hang out in that for a while and move to 1b in the new year.

I think I need reassurance that there is wisdom in hanging out and slowing down. This is a bit mind bending for me. I went to ps and spent most of k-3 learning in fits and starts. Gobbling up a new concept when it was presented than waiting a few weeks or months to get some more new info. The idea that there is depth available in early elementary is new. Any suggestions on how to go deeper would be appreciated.

When I was planning school this summer I figured we would just, go through the curriculum, but I just felt like we were moving so fast, and the lack of challenge was already starting to cause issues I remember from school. So now I am rethinking.

I think I need reassurance that there is wisdom in hanging out and slowing down. This is a bit mind bending for me.

No wisdom, but I'm not completely sold on that idea. Some kids seem to love digging deeper and deeper. Some kids will melt before your eyes when you tell them you want them to demonstrate the same stinkin' thing AGAIN. I was killing my son's love for math by forcing him to "prove" that he understood before we moved forward. He was saying, "I get it, Mom. I got it AGES ago." Only he said that with tears and it took me a while to figure it out. YMMV.

No wisdom, but I'm not completely sold on that idea. Some kids seem to love digging deeper and deeper. Some kids will melt before your eyes when you tell them you want them to demonstrate the same stinkin' thing AGAIN. I was killing my son's love for math by forcing him to "prove" that he understood before we moved forward. He was saying, "I get it, Mom. I got it AGES ago." Only he said that with tears and it took me a while to figure it out. YMMV.

Thanks, that is a good point. I may need to play it by ear. This is actually my worry, was one of our major issues with the spiral approach we were using. But since it jumped around so much it was hard to decide if she really got it or not. It is so hard to plan ahead.

We did review the test and it varied. Most of 1a she knows, but some she doesn't have exposure to yet. I decided to switch to Singapore and she has never been introduced to number bonds etc... She knows how to add with her fingers, but doesn't have exposure to word problems.... So maybe we will go faster. I am cool with playing it by ear. I think ;)

I think I have read too many posts on other boards about having the whole year planned out, I am having trouble balancing planning and not planning. I guess we could skip some units completely, or just take a day for speedy review. I kind of feel like I am just alone for the ride to steer the car. ;)

Maybe I just need to relax. I want to keep her love of math and learning going. Make school fun. But it also is important to us as a family that she begin to learn discipline of working diligently, something I feel I missed out on by spending most of school with everything being easy.

You'll have plenty of opportunities to go deeper (like word and reasoning problems that make a kid figure out both the question and the answer rather than just the answer). There are some things that just need to be glanced over a bit and moved on. When something is mastered, either re-think the whole thing to turn it on its head, or move on. Don't dwell on it. With math, especially, things will constantly be reviewed. You don't simply stop adding after 1st grade. You'll still have plenty of addition practice when you get to calculus, too. (Which is why I don't like the idea of fact practice ad nauseum for a child who is conceptually great at math. They'll pick up the facts eventually.)