Menu

Psych eval - should we?

Hwin

My son was declassified at 5 and we have requested an evaluation this year (he is now 6) because his sensory issues and motor skills are still a concern. He still holds scissors incorrectly, has difficulty buttoning, falls down randomly, can't ride a bike with training wheels, licks things that just shouldnt be licked etc.

They called and set us up for the OT, speech, and PT evals... as well as psychological. Is there any benefit to the psych eval? What will they be looking for? My husband is concerned (offended might be a better word) but I'm actually interested in the results.

Plus, it's always hilarious when my out-of-the-box kid is evaluated by percentile-oriented people :tongue_smilie:I might even load him up on sugar first.

I, personally, do not see any harm in it. DS already had a SPD dx when he was 4. So, I wanted to know if there was another missing piece. We worked with a wonderful child psych practice in our area. They did the eval over 3 meetings. The results were very enlightening and allowed us to see that we weren't really crazy after all and that we weren't "making things up." His issues were very real.

I just suggest doing your research first about child psychologists in your area, the thoroughness of their "testing", and what kind of reputation/rapport they have with children.

Guest JenBiren

We had our ds evaluated over 3 days and the doctor covered all kinds of areas (academic, psych, behavioral, etc) and our ds loved it! He was so proud of himself because the doctor complimented him on so much- he actually talked about it for a few years and still remembers one compliment today (its been 7 years now). It was costly to us since it was out of network, but I have never regretted it. What the doctor explained made so much sense to us- even what subjects would work for him and what wouldn't as he developed. I wish I had the cash to evaluate my 9 yr old daughter... ;) Ask around for doctor recommendations in your area- I'm sure there is someone around.

My son was declassified at 5 and we have requested an evaluation this year (he is now 6) because his sensory issues and motor skills are still a concern. He still holds scissors incorrectly, has difficulty buttoning, falls down randomly, can't ride a bike with training wheels, licks things that just shouldnt be licked etc.

They called and set us up for the OT, speech, and PT evals... as well as psychological. Is there any benefit to the psych eval? What will they be looking for? My husband is concerned (offended might be a better word) but I'm actually interested in the results.

Plus, it's always hilarious when my out-of-the-box kid is evaluated by percentile-oriented people :tongue_smilie:I might even load him up on sugar first.

Not sure what you mean by psych eval. What our school call a psych eval is actually an IQ test (WISC, or WPPSI for younger kids, or other IQ/developmental type tests). For me, it has always been extremely helpful to have this info. The test is must be given by at least a psychologist.

It sounds as though you are getting a team eval. The psych is probably developmental/IQ in nature. I'd do it. But you could ask what instrument (test) is used for the psych eval.

If a kid had behavior problems, suspected ASD, ADHD, etc (doesn't sound like your dc), then a professional, preferably a psychiatrist, would test. In this case, you would probably get a parent questionnaire to complete, so they would have a broader pix of your dc. You could also get questionnaires that are used as screening tools.

Oh, BTW, my kids have always joyed their testing -- lots of attention. And they always got a little toys (Oriental Trading type) at the end.

Oh, another point. Your school should not just "ask" you to test. There should be a planning meeting to discuss the testing, and, after that, you would sign a consent form. The Wrightslaw books have a lot of info.

I saw your remark about the sugar. A good evaluator does not not just come up with percents, but writes a multi-page narrative to interpret the scores. I have never had a tester who tried to pigeonhole my dc. (Wiley publishes a great series called Essentials [name of test], if you want to know more.)

Edited by Alessandra