Menu

Abridged/Adapted Classics for youngsters?

redgal

Does anyone read abridged/adapted versions of classics (or other book/tales) to their younger ones? Why/why not?

What if they were interested in the storyline/characters/plot but were too young for the unabridged/unmodified version?

Anyone have any experience with the Usborne Illustrated Stories from [e.g Shakespeare, Grimm, Hans, Dickens] books?

My girl seems just as happy to listen to Pride and Prejudice as the Very Hungry Caterpillar, so I haven't yet found a reason to read abridged books. I expect to encounter a reason in the next few years, however. I'm sure I don't have the stamina to read aloud a complete translation of the Illiad. :001_huh:

If you've got kids who would be interested in a story but are too young, I guess you either read it anyway or read something else while you wait for them to grow up, as they eventually do.

Oh wait. I highly recommend an abridged version of 1001 Arabian Nights. My girl was non verbal enough that I kept reading anyway, but the unabridged was then hidden away for at least a decade!! :svengo: I do read her the kiddie versions of whichever Shakespeare play I'm about to commence, but that's more for my benefit and because I don't feel like reading the entire original to her. She wouldn't mind if I did though. She will listen to anything as long as it has more than one sentence per page.

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

Thanks both of you. I am going to try a mix of books - picture book in the morning, treasury or illustrated classic in the afternoon and a family read-aloud of a classic chapter book or something similar in the evening. She loves books and story time so I don't want to put her off by reading something that is way over her head and not at all interesting but then she'll probably tell us if she is enjoying it or not and I can take it from there.:D