Menu

Please help trouble shoot pencil grip problem

Joyful

DS is left handed and in 5th grade now. We started cursive in 3rd grade. I have to admit that I was at fault in that last year with his handwriting. I didn't supervise him while he did his exercises.

Now I notice that he crosses his thumb over. I'm trying to help that with reminders. When I say "pencil grip" he knows to check and adjust his thumb. And I've ordered some pencil grips for crossover grips. However, I've notice a second problem. While he's writing, his hand will slide down the pencil (onto the sharpened exposed wooden part of the pencil). He does this very quickly after he begins writing or adjusting his pencil grips - within one sentence, and often within a word longer than 5 letters.

Can someone help identify the reasons why his figures might slide down the pencil while writing? Also, I would appreciate suggestions on how to help correct this. (Right now, I'm just reminding him to check and adjust his pencil grip, but I think there's probably something more constructive to help.)

Thanks!