Menu

Math U See vs. Ray's Arithmetic?

sherideane

Thoughts? I'm brand new to homeschooling but we did K12 last year through virtual school. DS (then 2nd Grade) went from loving math at the beginning, to hating it. I kept wondering if it had to do with K12's SEVERAL different ways of teaching how to get to the same answer. DS had a harder time understanding the math when it was very visual (base-10 blocks and the like) as opposed to just following memorized rules of problems on a page. He also hates writing and the endless worksheets (half of which we skipped) drove him crazy.

Seems like everyone loves Math U See, but it sounds awfully close to K12. ? I am also looking at Ray's... it sounds more straightforward, clear/simple and perhaps more appealing to my little intellectual guy. Anyone have experience with either or both of these?

Thanks!

I learned to follow memorized rules of problems on a page. I did NOT understand math, even though I was "good" at it (good grades, etc). I would recommend you read Liping Ma's book - it really opened my eyes to math.

On the other hand, he might just need a more straight-forward approach than what you were using. You should be able to find Ray's for free, if you want to try it. I prefer Practical Arithmetic to Rays - it has more hints in the text, so you aren't left wondering what to do.

Since he hates writing you could do some of the work orally.