Menu

SOTW for multiple children

thegeyser

I've used SOTW for my 3rd grade son since he was a 1st grader, so we are now on Year 3. However, this year I have added my 1st grader. My oldest son has an amazing attention span and reading comprehension skills- even since he was really young. My 2nd son is completely different. He can't answer any of the questions from the AG. I am starting to feel like it is really over his head. How can I expect him to know about Protestantism, Catholicism, and all the European countries (30 Years War)? How does he know what Buddism is when we discuss Japan? Shoguns? He didn't start from the beginning. There are so many new places and topics being introduced - and not explained. I am starting to feel like I should be doing something else with him. We are on chapter 10 and not much has improved since we started. My oldest reads everything he gets his hands on and remembers all the answers. It is hard to know if my child has a reading comprehension issue, or is either lazy, uninterested or overwhelmed. I would love some insight please. I have 4 children, so the thought of doing something else that requires more of me is a little overwhelming. Nonetheless, I don't want him to get short-changed.

First, I don't think you should compare one child's work with SOTW 1 in first grade to another trying to do SOTW 3 in first grade. SOTW gets more difficult every year and 3 and 4 are much harder then 1 and 2, not becuase you missed the earlier lessons, but because the chapters and longer and more in depth. (If you really want to reassure your self pull out SOTW 1 and see if he can answer the questions for one of those chapters.)

I think the easiest way to add a younger child to SOTW 3 or 4 is to just do American history with them. There are so many great books and resources for Amercian history for younger grades and that will be plenty of history for 1st and 2nd even if they only do history the weeks that you are doing american with the older child. Or stretch out the American topics during the weeks the older is doing something else. It doesn't take much of a library to cover things like colonies or the American Revolution well. Or just do American history with everyone by out the skipping the world history chapters.

He won't be short changed, even if you don't do any history with him. Don't feel guilty, pick something that works for your family now and worry about the rest later.

In fact I have chosen not to do history with my youngers this year and do american history with everyone next year.

Give the youngest the coloring page and pick some of the books from the AG to read just with him. If you do map or globe work, include your 1st grader. Have him color while you read the selection. Ask the questions from the AG to your oldest son. If you do any activities include your younger child.

As the year moves on he'll get the hang of it and will want to be more involved. Expecting everything from the younger son that the older son can do after two years of experience is unrealistic.

If you are doing SOTW as a four year rotation he'll get a couple more chances to get it all.