Menu

Anyone used Signs and Seasons classical astronomy program?

I'm not sure if this would be a complete 9th grade course, but it could serve as a very nice spine book. We are using it this year for a combined 4th/7th grade class in conjunction with an Usborne book and Memoria Press' Astronomy (meant for younger students, yet packed with information on constellations, start magnitude, etc...). However, we won't be doing all the field work - we're in Michigan and it seems to be either sunlit until 10:00 (too late to start class!) or too cloudy every night - not to mention cold. If you had clear nights in your area, you could undoubtedly get more from the S&S curriculum. However, I think I'd still add another text (DK, Usborne?) for color photos and more in-depth planetary information.

Ann in MI

We bought it in the spring, but have not started it yet. I think you might need to supplement for high school if you just buy the text. But I think I saw on the classical astronomy website that there is a workbook that can go with it and it will increase the program to be more intensive for high school. Now I have not used it but from flipping through it really fits the classical model and is well done.

Just as a side note, I receive the newsletter from the classical astronomy website and the family has actually decided to close up the business for now. Sad! Not sure if you already have the material, but he said you could buy the last copies from their family directly on the website or that CBD had stock left over.